Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:10 AM   #1

Default Need new camera after FedEx tragedy

yesterday we got a message from Kodak that our dc4800 was shipped to them in a state beyond repair. (I am glad we insured the package!) I really liked that camera! I am not a professional, but I like that in certain light settings, I was able to adjust things manually and both my husband and I agreed that it took great pictures. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore, they do not even have a refrubished one for us to buy. We have a baby on the way and I do not want to be without a digital camera. Anyone have some suggestions on a good camera that does both point and shoot and manual modes? Right now we are looking at the Olympus 750 and the Olympus c-5050. Is there something else we should be considering? We would like to be able to use our cf cards that we bought for the dc4800 (hence the fact that we are leaning towards the c-5050) but we don't want to miss out on a great camera because we did not know about it. Oh, we want at least 3 megapixels. Thanks!
zomiglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:33 AM   #2

Default Canon A70

If you want something cheaper then the 5050, but with full manual settings (and P & S), 3 megapixels and CF cards, you may want to look at hte Canon A70. There are lots of owners of this camera here on the forum and , of course, there is a review on this site!
Arjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:06 AM   #3

Yes the A70 is a great little camera I wholeheartedly agree with that and sounds perfect for what you stated you need it for.And its about half the price of the olympus C750.Of course these are two very different cameras.I myself own the Oly C750 and couldn't be without the 10x optical zoom on it.This would seem to be overkill for you're uses unless you plan on zooming onto your babies face FROM DOWN THE BLOCK ! :lol:
I am very pleased with the C750 and you can check out my pics if you like.If money is not an object I'd buy the C750 over the Canon A70.As far as the C-5050 goes I think most would agree it is probably better suited to what you want than the C750 is.
Maybe you can tell us if the zoom is something you'd use or not? If so get the c750 if not get the C5050 or the less expensive but great Canon A70.

My pictures http://waynebrunet.fotopic.net
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:23 AM   #4

Default zoom

Thanks for the replies thus far. For us zooming is not the biggest issue. We have a VERY nice 35 mm SLR that we have serval lens for. We use this for most of our zooming needs (like outdoors shots at national parks). What we are looking for is a camera with some manual properties and EXCELLENT picture quality. I would like to get good enough picture to make 8 x10s out of them.
zomiglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 1:27 PM   #5

Default Canon A70

You can print 8x10s from the A70, but you can't crop the picture too much then. Like slickShooter said: if money isn't a (big) issue buy one of the Oly's, you can't really go wrong with them I think. But the A70 is an excellent cheaper alternative.
Arjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 2:44 PM   #6

Default Re: zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomiglady
Thanks for the replies thus far. For us zooming is not the biggest issue. We have a VERY nice 35 mm SLR that we have serval lens for. We use this for most of our zooming needs (like outdoors shots at national parks). What we are looking for is a camera with some manual properties and EXCELLENT picture quality. I would like to get good enough picture to make 8 x10s out of them.
Well, I am going to suggest something really off the beaten track here.

Like you, I have a nice SLR. I also have a digital body for it (Nikon D100). Unlike you, I also have an Oly C700 and an earlier Oly Digital.

My wife found that she liked the older Oly Digital and was using it a lot -- generally to do pretty much what you are looking for. I surprised her with a new Pentax Optio S (the camera that uses an Altoids can as a case <G>!) This camera is Amazing! The picture quality is superb (only 3 MP but MPs aren't everything). As to 8X10s, I have done 11X14's from it that are very, very good...

While it is a small camera (the Altoids can shows that) it has a pretty full range of controls and it is pretty easy to use too. The best part is that it is so small and light that she keeps it in her purse so it is pretty much always with us. That has added a new dimension in picture taking to our family.

Just another slant on the "problem"...

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote