Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:01 PM   #1

Would using an extension tubebetweena camcorder ccd and lens work to bring the telephoto focus closer.?
I know about close-up diopters but I was just wondering is this would work, my camcorder is canon HV10.
kam213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2007, 9:20 PM   #2

If you can get an extension tube between the lens and the body of the HV10, then yes, it willbring the telephoto focus closer. A LOT CLOSER!

Perhaps what you should consider is Close Up Lenses instead. See Hoya Close Up Lenses or Tiffen Close Up Lenses.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 2:40 PM   #3

Would I have to move the focus lens more than it moves right now to compensate for the space between lens and ccd.?
Canon's telephoto close focus is 1 meter is that the closest possible or did canon just set it at that ?
kam213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:43 PM   #4

Lenses are designed to always project an image that is in focus on the image sensor. Thatdoesn't change.The focus adjustment determines what will be in focus in th eimage that is projected onto the image sensor.

An extension tube is a device that increases the distance between the lens and the image sensor. The mechanical ability of the lens to shift it's optical elements is not affected by an extension tube, but because the extension tube alters the distance between the lens and the image sensor, the objects that will be in focus in the resulting image will be quite different.

I don't think you can remove the lens from the HV10, so you would not be able to insert an extension tube between its lens and its image sensor.

I think you should consider the Close Up Lenses I provided links to in my first post.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote