Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2003, 5:15 PM   #1

Default Web Cams

I have a broadband internet connection and was thinking of purchasing a reasonable Web Cam. I know nothing about this type of system so would like any positive advice to assist me on this subject.
rjp765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2003, 5:30 PM   #2

Can't some cameras be configured to do the same thing? It might be nice to see a list of cameras that people have had success with this.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 5:39 PM   #3

Default Web Cams

Thanks for your comments, I have also posted another topic earlier re my Panasonic Digital Video Camera. I am hoping to buy a Fuji 602 Zoom quite soon. I wonder whether anyone out their figured out whether you can use that camera as a web cam???
Old Aug 14, 2003, 6:29 PM   #4

Although as you say, the 602 can be used as a web cam, it seems a bit of a shame to throw away all those still image Mpix on a modest quality AVI stream. I think web moviecams are pretty cheap so is it a good idea to keep your expensive 602 cooking for long periods as a webcam?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 6:44 PM   #5

Default Web Cams

Thanks, though i am still looking for an suggestion as to a good Web Cam, there are a lot of poor quality ones out there. Though the 602 could be used on the road with the right connection cable, to keep in touch.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 8:58 PM   #6
djb

if i'm not mistaken, the s602z can't be used for a continuous video stream. even though it has a video/audio out and usb connections the video must be recorded to camera memory and the memory will limit how much time can be recorded (15min. @vga on 1G). it can
be seen on a tv via video out as long as the memory lasts. the usb connection to a pc won't utilize the movie mode and will only be viewed in full wideangle. then again, i may be mistaken. if i am
mistaken please let me know.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 5:38 AM   #7

Default Web Cams

Thanks, as you may have guessed I have not yet bought the Fuji 602 Zoom, so have not had chance to fully understand its workings. I was just thinking over the idea in this forum.

I will probably buy a Good Quality Web Cam. That can fully utilise my Broadband connection. If somebody out there knows of one I should look at.

Though I still think it would be good to know what camera's can be used as a fall back web cam whilst we are away from our home.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 3:47 PM   #8

you can get a decent webcam for under 50 bucks. It all depends on the quality you want and how much money you want to spend. If you got the money you can buy one of the ethernet cams for superior quality or get a creative usb cam for average quality
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:34 PM   #9

Problem with most cameras (and video cameras) is they use CCDs which heat up over time (especially higher MP cameras) which means getting hot pixels (that can become permanent). Personally I wouldn't want to risk my $500 camera on a job that I can get a good $20 webcam to do!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 7:41 AM   #10

I'm in question also about webcam features of digital cameras,

As i would use it to feed pictures on screen dumps during a training course in audio/video. (i'm a teaching consultant).

USB/ Fire wire with software would be required.

I'm traveling light and as such would like one device doing the job.

The camera should also make decent pictures in the 3-4 Mp range.

Any suggestions, links to reviews welcome from e-sonic.
e-sonic is offline   Reply With Quote