Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:15 AM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the information about Vista Homehaving stuff that gets in the way (always drives me nuts).I'll most likely order from Dell and now know to get the otherversion of the system.
Actually, there are 4 different versions of Vista: Basic, Home, Business, & Ultimate. (See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...g_id=10033WHb1)

XP used to have Home and Media Center. Vista Home has everything that XP Home had, plus everything XP Media Center had, plus some new and even more useless and annoying stuff. For work (That's 'work', not 'homework'.) I'd go with the Business edition, but for a pure, simple operating system for use on a single computer that won't ever be part of a LAN, the Basic edition would be a good choice.

One of the nice things Microsoft added to Vista is that the operating system can now take advantage of some of the more advanced features of the more advanced graphics adapters. That's why Vista is better than XP for Photoshop and the like. But as JimC says, the Mac is still the leader in advanced graphics applications.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:26 AM   #12

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Thanks very much for these links, too- they are very interesting and now I can't wait to get home tonight and try their suggestions. What they say sounds pretty logical (about doing the different previews) and it is the previews that suddenly slow down to a crawl that's been driving me crazy. I should have asked about this here a while ago, I would have saved myself quite a bit of frustration!
Good luck with that.

And you could easily connect an external card reader to replace the failed internal card reader.

But 3 years old is still old for a laptop. It's battery is probably due to be replaced, the power supply is probably on it's last legs, and some of it's other hardware has already failed. Even if you don't buy something right now, you should at least be shopping for a replacement.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:40 AM   #13
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
But as JimC says, the Mac is still the leader in advanced graphics applications.
Don't put too many words into my mouth. ;-) Noticing some comments from users with both platforms that Lightroom runs better on OSX 10.4 is not the same thing as the Mac being the leader in advanced graphics applications. lol

You really need to take each application on a case by case basis when comparing performance, and it's best done in controlled conditions tests (making sure the hardware is setup the same way and more), and I haven't seen any of those with Lightroom yet (although there may be some out there).

Specific versions of Windows may behave differently, too (i.e., Vista versus XP, 32 bit versus 64 bit version, and more), and the way you have the OS setup probably impacts it.

Personally, I've been using Linux more than any other Operating System lately (my PC is setup with XP Pro and two different Linux distributions now).

But, Adobe's image processing applications are not available for Linux. If my only use for a PC was image processing and I wanted to use Adobe Lightroom for raw conversion, I'd probably entertain going Mac if the price were right, which is the biggest issue with Apple products from my perspective (although I have seen comparisons showing pretty good "bang for the buck" in the notebook lineup).

If I did get one, I'd probably partition the drive and use a boot manager that let me select the operating system I wanted to use at bootup though (XP, Mac OSX 10.4 or Linux). That is a nice thing about Apple going Intel (more operating system choices without using any kind of virtualization product).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:48 AM   #14

JimC wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
But as JimC says, the Mac is still the leader in advanced graphics applications.
Don't put too many words into my mouth. ;-) Noticing some comments from users with both platforms that Lightroom runs better on OSX 10.4 is not the same thing as the Mac being the leader in advanced graphics applications. lol
OK. Sorry. If you won't say it, I will.

The Mac is still the leader in advanced graphics applications.

Most heavy duty graphics applications are developed on the Macintosh first and ported to Windows. (This was true even before they used the same CPUs.) Most of the 'first person' 'shoot-'em-up' games that run on PCs were developed on the Mac. Think of the Mac, not as an alternative to a PC, but as an inexpensive Sun Workstation that just happens to have a lot of general purpose applications readily available.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:16 PM   #15

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Most of the 'first person' 'shoot-'em-up' games that run on PCs were developed on the Mac.
Where'd you get this notion from? Very, very few 3D games are ever released for the Mac. Most of the hardware and software they require could only be found on Windows machines until Macs started coming with Intel chips, but even then you still need to install Windows to run most games.

I don't doubt that in some companies they use Macs to produce some of the artwork, but nobody would waste their time creating a game engine and the various development tools for a Mac that won't even run the game.

And while it's now possible to play modern games on a Mac by installing Windows with Boot Camp, you'd get better performance with a properly built Windows machine for a third of the cost or less.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:48 PM   #16

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
Most of the 'first person' 'shoot-'em-up' games that run on PCs were developed on the Mac.
Where'd you get this notion from? Very, very few 3D games are ever released for the Mac.
Correct. The games were never released for the Mac, but they were developed on the Mac. This has been a major disappointment for Mac users for years. Some great games were never released for the Mac, even though that's where they came to life.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:08 AM   #17

I did make the changes in LR, left PS closed, rendered 1:1 previewsand also made sure I had enough free space on the hard drives, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. There could easily be something else going on with my computer so I think I'll move its replacement up higher on my list of priorities. The card reader not working is an annoyance, but not an insurmountable problem. I carry the camera's cable when I'm traveling, and I have both a card reader on my printer and an old separate one that I had bought for my previous computer (which still works). If I were interested in getting another computer at Best Buy I'd take it in for anther repair, but think I'll probably order from Dell (hate to not have my computer for 4-6 weeks and have only Photoshop 6 to use. Even the software that came with my camera doesn't like my hubby's old, slow computer)

While getting a Mac is a nice thought, I'll probably stick with PC - it really is the less expensive option.

I'll opt for the business edition - I've been thinking of networking my other half's computer and mine so we can share a printer. And there's always a possibility that I'll want to get on a wireless system connected to where I work, and they used to require XP Pro, so I would assume that they would want you to have Vista Business (not to mention getting on wireless networks when I'm traveling). Does it need significantly larger amounts of RAM? I read that Vista Home (is there a separate Home Premium?) requires more RAM than the Basic version. When I looked at pricing out a lightweight Dell laptop, the max RAM available was 4 GB - will that be enough?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:09 AM   #18
Super Moderator

mtngal,

There is no right way to choose. Actually both Mac and PC are fine. I make my living as a Windows programmer, but I share a fantastic high-end MacPro system with my wife at home.

IMO Macs sure are a lot easier to manage for people who just want to get on with things and want the OS to stay out of the way and not give trouble. And they are much cooler! But they do cost a bit more.

My wife has a Titanium Mac laptop that is nearly 5 years old and going strong for email and internet use. In my personalopinion (and treat this anecdotally only I have no statistics to back it up) Macs are more expensive because they are better built.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 5:17 PM   #19

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
Where'd you get this notion from? Very, very few 3D games are ever released for the Mac.
Correct. The games were never released for the Mac, but they were developed on the Mac. This has been a major disappointment for Mac users for years. Some great games were never released for the Mac, even though that's where they came to life.
My point is that nobody would do this unless the game was destined for the Mac, otherwise it would be a complete waste of time. It would be like writing a novel in French, translating it to English, then never releasing the French version. For every novel.

Besides, if they did create it on the Mac first, there would be no reason not to include the Mac version on the Windows disc since 95% of the file space is taken up by artwork and video. Of course, they wouldn't run very good on the outdated video cards included with most Macs.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:58 PM   #20

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
... Macs are more expensive because they are better built.
Um. No.