Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:08 PM   #21

Isnt this jus a mathematical question? 4 x 6 inches at 300 dpi = 1200 pixels by 1800 pixels = 2.16 Meg. So each file should be 2.16 Meg in size to produce a 4x6 inch photo at 300 dpi. Is my math ok?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:26 AM   #22

You're math is right, but it doesn't take into account the JPEG compression. A 4x6 print at 300 dpi would require 2.16 MB file IF EACH PIXEL WAS CONTAINED IN THE FILE. It's not.

And remember that funbug wrote:
Quote:
... My files are around 1 meg to 2 megs in size each whenI download to my computer. ...
Since his file sizes are already smaller than 2.16 MB, then, if not for compression, those file sizes wouldn't be large enough to produce 4x6 prints as they are!
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:11 AM   #23

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Isnt this jus a mathematical question? 4 x 6 inches at 300 dpi = 1200 pixels by 1800 pixels = 2.16 Meg. So each file should be 2.16 Meg in size to produce a 4x6 inch photo at 300 dpi. Is my math ok?
Actually, no. The image size is OK, 2.16 Meg (pixels). Each pixel, though is 24bits (3bytes), so the uncompressed file size would be 6.48 Megabytes. With .jpeg compression, even at highest quality, file size would shrink to probably around 1 Megabyte. (which sounds about right for a 2MP camera)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:31 AM   #24

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
... file size would shrink to probably around 1 Megabyte. (which sounds about right for a 2MP camera)
... except that funbug wrote:
Quote:
... Shooting at 4 or 6 megs. ...
The OP hasn't mentioned any detailes about the images (digicam they were shot with, resolution they were shot at, sharpness, noise reduction or other camera settings), so it's impossible to know exactly what is going on.

My 6MP KM5D, at 3008x2000, Extra Fine, Noise reduction On, produces images whose file sizes are around 4MB. If the OP is "Shooting at 4 or 6 megs", then "... files are around 1 meg to 2 megs in size ..." doesn't sound right to me, so I think there's somethings else going on.

BUT, the simplest thing to do (sorry, BillDrew, the second simplest thing to do) is to copy them all to CDs. Then, when the OP has accumulated his next 300 photos, he doesn't have to sweat bullets about what to do with them as well!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:31 PM   #25

TCav wrote:
Quote:
The OP hasn't mentioned any detailes about the images (digicam they were shot with, resolution they were shot at, sharpness, noise reduction or other camera settings), so it's impossible to know exactly what is going on.

Response was to Bynx, re: his math.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:10 PM   #26

Wow, Thanks lots of info toprocess but thats why I asked the question originally. Thanks very much for the help. Diffenitly going to start backing up onto CD's alot more. Ill also send them full size . The pics I really need, Ill tweek with the advice you guys gaveand print again if need be.

Funbug

:|
funbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:04 PM   #27

Use CD-Rs for your originals. That way, you'll always have them. (Well, for 10-15 years anyway.)