Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:34 PM   #1

Need Help. Shooting at 4 or 6 megs. Would like to put files onto a disk but was wondering how small I should shrink the file to be adequate to produce a 4x6 print. My files are around 1 meg to 2 megs in size each whenI download to my computer. whats good for printed no bigger than a 4x6... 60KB? 100KB over 1 meg?

FunBug:?:|
funbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:50 PM   #2

Why are you wanting to compress your files ?

Are you trying to fit as many as possible onto a cd for some reason ?

Just crop them to a 4x6 ratio, tweak the contrast/color etc as you wish, and save them at your editors highest (best setting) and then they will print fine.

Always keep the originals, cd/dvd storage is cheap.

Frankly unless you are making massive crops, then for 4x6in prints a 2 or 3mp camera would be just as good as a 4 or 6mp, ie you would not be able to tell the difference between the prints unless using a high powered magnifiying glass.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:30 PM   #3

You should consider it in terms of pixels, not bytes. 250 pixels per inch will produce an acceptable 4x6 print. So, you need a 1000x1500 pixel file. 300 ppi is going to give you better color transition but for 4x6 few people would be able to tell the difference.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:34 PM   #4

I agree with Sintares: why do you want to save the image at anything but the highest resolution?
funbug wrote:
Quote:
... whats good for printed no bigger than a 4x6... 60KB? 100KB over 1 meg?
If you really want to figure it out, experiment. Try different amounts of down sizing/compression and look at the results. Try it will different images: one with a dreamy/foggy landscape and one with a close up of a butterflies wing. You will find that the answer depends on the subject as well as the most important issue: the eye of the beholder. What is good enough for you probably won't be good enough for the guy who shows up with a high quality 10x loupe.

As Sintares said: keep the originals. Exactly as they came from the camera. With no modifcations whatsoever.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:36 PM   #5

funbug wrote:
Quote:
Need Help. Shooting at 4 or 6 megs. Would like to put files onto a disk but was wondering how small I should shrink the file to be adequate to produce a 4x6 print. My files are around 1 meg to 2 megs in size each whenI download to my computer. whats good for printed no bigger than a 4x6... 60KB? 100KB over 1 meg?
The answer depends entirely on how much JPEG compression you're willing to accept.

I suggest you burn all your original images to CD-Rs or DVD-Rs. At 1 to 2 megs per image, you'd get over 300 images per CD, or over 2,000 on a single layer DVD. That will get the images off your computer, but you can get at them whenever you need to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:47 AM   #6

Thanks alot for the help!

Ill get down to making those prints! :|I currently use an older version of photoshop any recommendations for editing your pics that is easier?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:25 AM   #7

New Adobe Lightroom is pretty easy for editing colors, cropping, and red-eye.
GigaS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:14 PM   #8

Thaks Ill check into it. now that I know how to get a my pics to a 4x6 heres the problem im running into now....I HAVE TOO MANY PICTURES !!! how can I resize these ? I have to go through them one by one...I have over 300 pics to do!!!!!!

UGH!:?

:|

Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:22 PM   #9

Many photo editors allow you to batch process a number of pictures, if you want to perform the same operation on them all. Photoshop uses actions for this. I would venture to guess you could find someone who already has done this and simply download the action. Check the editing forums. There are a number of free actions and plugins for photoshop which could be useful. Here is one link:http://www.photofreeware.net

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:05 PM   #10

If your camera is similar to mine all your file sizes are 72 dpi with a size of 42 inches by 32 inches at 7.1 Megapixel. Most printers output at 300 dpi so do the math and see how big your file has to be to reduce to 4 x 6 at 300 dpi.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote