Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:19 PM   #1

I just noticed that my uploads dont match my original image. When I drag and copy the upload to my desktop the image matches the original. However, the uploaded image is less saturated in color when viewed from the forum. Has anyone noticed this in their pics? Compare your original image with the uploaded image and see if they are identical. Please respond and let us know. Thanks.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you using sRGB? Most browsers are not color space aware. Safari is an exception. Photos should be converted to sRGB for web use if they are not that way already.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:41 PM   #3

Im using an iMac computer. I dont know what sRGB is but the pics are in RGB format. And my web browser is Safari.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 3:23 PM   #4

Adobe RGB is basically another kind of RGB image that stores a wider range of colors. Not more colors, it just includes colors that are outside the range of sRGB. Since nearly every display and printer is designed for sRGB and not Adobe RGB, it's rarely practical to use.

In order for Adobe RGB to have an expanded gamut (range of colors), it has to reduce the area of the histogram it uses for the normal sRGB gamut. While viewing images in Photoshop you wouldn't really notice a difference because Photoshop can compensate for the change, but under most other viewing conditions it means that the images appear duller.

By default, Adobe Camera Raw imports images in the Adobe RGB color space, so if you are using RAW images, be sure and set it to sRGB the next time you import an image. This will not only make images appear more colorful and vivid in browsers and other viewers, but your prints will tend to look that way as well.

Another option is to use the Save to Web option in Photoshop. This will convert the profile to sRGB for you, but will throw out some embedded info such as the EXIF data.

There are some out there who will insist that using Adobe RGB is the proper way to work with images. In reality, unless you understand what it is, bought a monitor that supports it (highly unlikely), and have a printer or send your images to a print shop that supports it (highly unlikley), you should never use it.

If Adobe RGB isn't the cause of the problem you are having, it may be some other color space. Safari is supposed to support Adobe RGB, but perhaps you are somehow using a different color space that it doesn't support. See if any of the above helps you and let us know what you find out.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:07 PM   #5

Having read what my computer and browser is my camera is a Fuji S700. This camera saves only in RGB. This is an industry standard format for everything from creating (Photoshop) to final print. I am used to CMYK rather than RGB but RGB is now more widely accepted than it was. Here is the problem as I see it now. A file assembled in Photoshop and saved as an RGB is sent to this forum and posted. When it was noted by DigitalGal that the picture looked like it needed to be brightened up I compared it to the original file sent. They were noticeable different. So I downloaded the picture from the forum and compared them again. Now they were the same. So what does Photoshop or my monitor have to do with this? The only thing I see is that observing over the internet alters the colors? Does saving in Photoshop for the web create a file more accurate when viewed later?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:10 PM   #6

Quote:
This camera saves only in RGB. This is an industry standard format for everything from creating (Photoshop) to final print.
You seem to be resisting that there are different flavors of RGB. "RGB" isn't an industry standard. "sRGB" is close to an industry standard for consumer products like printers and lower end digital cameras. "Adobe RGB" is probably close to an industry standard for graphics professionals and many serious amateurs.

Your browser is probably color managed. You can test it here: http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_...Gprofiles.html

Your camera is probably extracting with an sRGB color space. If you editor is set to use Adobe RGB you might be saving in that and also converting to Adobe RGB for viewing. If you are "saving for web" you might be converting from Adobe RGB back to sRGB so the color space doesn't look as rich when you post it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:50 PM   #7

Ok Slipe, it seems that Im doing everything in Adobe RGB. When it gets posted on the forum its converted to sRGB for viewing which makes the original picture look more flat and less contrasty particularly in the black areas. When I download the same pic from the forum and view it again, all is as it should be. So to view properly I suppose the pics have to be compensated for the loss by over saturation.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:36 PM   #8
Administrator

http://www.gballard.net/psd/saveforwebshift.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:40 PM   #9

Thats sure explains it nicely. Thanks JimC.