Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:13 AM   #1

Default Candid Camera lens attachments ??

Hi Folks......
Have posted this inquiry in another section as well (lens attachments I think) but no replies as yet so I thought I'd broaden the forum and post it here as well!

In short is there anyone that knows of a 'right angled' ?? lens attachment gizmo that would allow one to take a photo of something whilst not actually pointing the camera at them/it ?? If you've ever travelled abroad you'll appreciate how useful such an adapter may be.

Does such a thing exist?? .............
Ian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:45 AM   #2

I know there's periscope viewfinders (mostly for camcorders and the movie industry)...don't know if there's actually a periscope lens (although when you think about it, every SLR is a periscope).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:09 PM   #3

perhaps one of those digicams with flip up type lcd monitor? maybe you can improvise with cardboard, a piece of mirror, and attach it to the back of your current camera, on top of the lcd monitor. I don't know of any comercial products to that effect.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 1:14 PM   #4
Administrator

I've owned two Nikon Digital Cameras (Coolpix 950, 990), and find that their swivel body design is great for getting candid photos.

You can keep the camera down low, twisting the lens portion of the body to point to your subject. It works great for getting photos that you wouldn't normally be able to get (not only for candid photos, but it's great in crowded areas too -- so that you can hold the camera over your head -- while still pointing the lens at your subject, using the LCD for framing.

In addition to some Nikons with a swivel body (900, 950, 990, 4500), you can find cameras with swivel LCD's, which can offer the same type of benefits -- depending on the "moveability" of the LCD swivel design.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:30 AM   #5

Thanks for your inputs you guys that have responded to my 'Candid Camera' lens gizmo inquiries...... but all your suggestions are missing the point of what I'm trying to find out. The idea was to find out if it is possible to take a photo without actually pointing the camera at the subject, .......so the light would have to enter from the side of the lens cover and be reflected with a mirror or something into the body of the camera.
Does such a thing exist or am I going to have to design and market it myself ??
Ian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:18 AM   #6

What has been explained is instead of fancy mirrors, you turn the camera through 90 deg. and swivel the viewfinder. Any camera must have a lens pointing at the subject, even if there's a mirror in front. Perhaps you need to be looking at really small digicams like the IXUS and the 1Mpix cheapies. The smaller the front lens element, the less obtrusive it will be.

I remember there used to be a 1mpix cam (was it the first Dimage?) Where the ccd and zoom lens head asembly was actually detachable on a cable from the camera body. So you could look down at the lcd on your belt pack, whilst wearing the lens at 90 deg in your jacket button hole!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:07 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian C
Thanks for your inputs you guys that have responded to my 'Candid Camera' lens gizmo inquiries...... but all your suggestions are missing the point of what I'm trying to find out. The idea was to find out if it is possible to take a photo without actually pointing the camera at the subject, .......so the light would have to enter from the side of the lens cover and be reflected with a mirror or something into the body of the camera.
Does such a thing exist or am I going to have to design and market it myself ??
LOL -- who would buy it?

With swivel bodied cameras like the Nikons (900,950,990,995,4500), nobody realizes that you're pointing a camera at them anyway most of the time (if you do it right -- keeping the camera at lap level, while framing and shooting). It's not obvious that you're pointing a camera at them (unless they happen to be familiar with the Coolpix line).

I've taken lots of "candid" photos this way at parties -- with the subjects not realizing that they were about to have their picture taken until the flash went off.

Even though the quality is awful, I've also taken lots of candid photos with my camera phone. The lens is so small that people don't realize it's got a built in camera. If I want to surprise someone with a candid photo, I just pretend to be dialing on the phone, while I frame and snap their photo (then show it to them afterwards).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:13 PM   #8

Actually there used to be a product like this sold in the 70's.
Looked like a long lense with a hole mid way and a 45^ mirror in it.

It was made to attach to your fixed focal length 50mm lense, sort of became inoperable when zooms became popular.

Modern way may be to just let the camera hang from its strap and trigger it remotely. With the swivelling lcd's you can keep an eye on what is being framed.

Of course taking peoples pictures without their permission can get you in some rather hot water in some places like Quebec.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote