Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2003, 3:56 PM   #1

Default What's the best way to match printer output to CRT image?

I am working with an HP7550 printer and a Canon S50 camera. I find, on my Sony monitor that it is tough to get prints to look the same as the images I've edited on my PC using any of the 3 editing programs I'm using. What is the basic procedure? Trial and error? Changing the printer driver tweaks to make the two look the same? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Noel
Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2003, 6:01 PM   #2

Is your monitor crt or lcd flat panel? It sounds like you need to look into using something like Qimage Pro for printing and setup 'profiles' for your monitor and printer.

Knowing which is right can be difficult and sometimes it's down to personal taste. When I first had this problem, I got some images straight off the camera printed on real photo paper. I liked the results and that's what I decided to aim for from my monitor and printer. You should start by getting the brightness and contrast settings on your monitor right first, whilst checking that your monitor does show a black and white image as that, and not with a colour cast.

If your printer came with some test images, see what those look like on screen and printed.

Have a look here and download their basic setup software:

http://www.praxisoft.com/
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 6:20 PM   #3

pantone colorvision calibration. and as your crt ages you'll recal about every 6 months. that is the most precise method and the closest to getting the output your after.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:50 AM   #4

Default Re: What's the best way to match printer output to CRT image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
What is the basic procedure?
There are proper professional methods including colour profiles, adn you'll get lots of advice about that. However, first......

1. Your print will never look just the same as the monitor, because the monitor's more like a slide projector, with a bigger dynamic range (black to white) of 256:1. Prints will always look a bit less 'punchy'.

2. Make sure your monitor's well adjusted. Try maximum contrast, and adjust the brightness to show the same maximum black as the unscanned surround and as many visible steps as possible on the various published back to white step wedges.

3. Inspect a good test card showing a full range of tones and colours, on screen and as a print. With luck there'll be a reasonable match.

Only after this move on to the more complicated solutions. Many people get good results straight out of the box.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:32 AM   #5

Also printers and monitors use different systems for creating colour; monitors use additive (red, green & blue lights create white light) while printers use subtractive (cyan, magenta & yellow ink creates black ink).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 6:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
while printers use subtractive (cyan, magenta & yellow ink creates black ink).
Mike,

Doesn't this depend on the printer ? My Epson has a black ink cartridge, and although it lasts a long time it is used in colour photos (not just titles).
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:10 AM   #7

I thought the real point of issue between a printer and a monitor, was that a photo printer with 6 ink cartridges can deliver a wider colour Gamut than a monitor with RGB phosphors.

Although I've never quite understood how the RGB camera sensor can match this larger colour space of a 6 cartridge printer. Or is it that subtractive mixing can't equal the monitor with 3+black cartridges?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
while printers use subtractive (cyan, magenta & yellow ink creates black ink).
Quote:
Originally Posted by checklg
Doesn't this depend on the printer ? My Epson has a black ink cartridge, and although it lasts a long time it is used in colour photos (not just titles).
I'm talking about general colour theory, why colours don't match between the two technologies. RGB on a monitor makes white, CMY on the printer makes black.

Black or the K in CMYK was added so you aren't using up all three colours (CMY) to make black for printing text. Also the black created by the CMY combination is usually a muddy black which isn't true black. Of course if you have a six colour printer, then it's CcMmYK, but that's for more realistic skin tones.

Printers will never match monitors 100%.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:54 PM   #9

i think the question was how can the original poster get WYSWYG from screen to printer. not an exercise in color theory. it can be real close if you just do a proper calibration. i recal about every 3 months and when i'm going to do a paid output a calibration is done before the run.

LCDs do not have the dynamic range of a good CRT. dialing them in is generally a challenge at best and even then it isn't quite their when you think you have it. they still have a way to go. the ones that come real close aren't cheap.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote