Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2003, 8:20 PM   #1

Default GAAAHHHH: Prints - contrast, shadow and washed out probs

I just collected 600 prints (because i still like flicking through albums, they look great) after testing with 10 odd shots.

Any photos with high contrrast such as beaches have VERY dark shadows ... they all sem underexposed.

On the other hand, other photos show washed out grass (white not green) and washed ouyt skies .. but still the total absence of any ability to handle shadows .... it seems the cotrast is off yes??

On macro's the shots are overexposed!!!!

They look FINE on my screen. yes i did make a mess of some shots and that is fine ... but some are PERFECT and look WAY underexposed and the contrast terrible ..... WHAT WENT WRONG??

I used the best photography store in Sydney and they have installed reasonably new $15,000 fuji printers .. .WHAT HAPPENED???
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:11 PM   #2

My guess (and this is a BIG GUESS) is that you need a color profile for that printer. This costs money and isn't that hard to do (you buy the equipment, or pay someone to do it.) Since you got the printout at a big place, they might have profiles for you to download (or maybe you could buy one from somewhere.)

If you are on the Mac then you are lucky because the Mac OS has color profiles support built into the OS. If you are on the PC, then you'd better be using photoshop (or some other color profile supporting program.)

I know the general philosophy behind color profiles. They teach the software how to display like something else (your printer.) I know nothing other than that.

Of course, I could be completely wrong here. But my general view when I hear of such problems is that its either a really cheap printer (can't blend and represent colors well) or you need a profile.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:24 PM   #3

Thanks, i don't think it is a cheap printer. These are new Fuji Frontier jobbies that seem like top of the range. I can't describe how bad the shadows are, a complete loss of detail ...... really dissapointed to say the least.

I need to spend serious time there, i will ask about a "Colour profile".
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:18 PM   #4

No, the Frontier is a very good printer (from all I've been told.)

Take the pictures with you when you go there. If they know you, maybe they'll listen when you say that those shadows have more detail. Heck, if you have a laptop, demonstrate it (or bring the pictures on a CD.) If the shop has enough money to buy that printer, I would hope they care about the quality and customers and be willing to help out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:59 PM   #5

From what I understand about Fuji Frontier printers - and they are good, If you do one single edit in PS and save the image, then PS adds its signature to the EXIF file header. If your editor deletes the EXIF header on saves, then read on........

The Frontier printer then says ' Hey this guy has done his own custom edits, so I'm going to ignore the fact its a Fuji camera, pick a good profile, auto exposure balance, auto contrast set, etc etc. Since he wants me to print what I've been given".

So Alfisti, if you did do your own editing then it could be your monitor isn't matched for the Frontier's output. I do have a generic profile for the Frontier which I got off the Fuji website. But to be honest, it wasn't far off what I was seeing uncorrected. Also a genuine Fuji agent will re-calibrate the profiles every so often.

The UK dealer who does my prints supplied me with a free calibration target (printed from their printer) and a file - so crudely you can compare the photo print target with the file on your monitor. Don't you get that service over there?

Perhaps I've given you some clues as to what might have happened, but the next time you want 600 prints done, why not assemble some largish thumbnails on to 6X4 or 10X8 and have a dozen or two of those printed first . VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 3:12 PM   #6

A similar thing happend to me not long ago. I made a lot of photos and viewed them on a laptop the same day, then I would chose those that are the best. I also based my camera settings (exposure, contrast, saturation) on that laptop lcd. Then when I came back home and loaded the pictures on my desktop, which has a Sony CRT, it turned out the photos were too dark, some over saturated (jpeg compression starting to show), and not as nice as I thought they were.

So I guess if you plan to edit AND print photos or use non standard camera settings: get a really good pc monitor. I don't think I will ever dare to edit photos on a LCD panel, results can be misleading.

Besides some things look good on the screen, some on print, without profiles (which I don't use) and a reliable display it is hard to expect to get the same pictures here and there.
V7iktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 4:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by V7iktor
A similar thing happend to me not long ago. I made a lot of photos and viewed them on a laptop the same day, then I would chose those that are the best. I also based my camera settings (exposure, contrast, saturation) on that laptop lcd. Then when I came back home and loaded the pictures on my desktop, which has a Sony CRT, it turned out the photos were too dark, some over saturated (jpeg compression starting to show), and not as nice as I thought they were.
I found out about this problem at probably the most inconvenient time possible. For the photography part of my Journalism degree I spent ages at home getting the photos just right on my laptop, then when I went in to uni to print them saw that on the CRT monitors (that the lecturer would be marking them on) they looked all washed out and horrible
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 6:58 PM   #8

Well I did get 5 to 10 prints done first and i raised a few concerns that they wrere a tad underexposed, thy said it would be fine and they they do not alter the photos .. the print "as is".

I just find it incomprehensible that all the pics are too datrk, the greens are white and the skies washed out. To top it off, macro's are overexposed. There appears to be no pattern at all.

Vox, i will annoy them today and see what they can do, I have the feelign they are going to be difficult but i will tak emy disk and say "look, these prints look nothing liek this".

If there is a need to match "colour profiles" ... then digital photography has lost a lot of it's appeal to me. it just should not be this hard to get a decent print.

Oh, I only edited about 15% of them ... rest are right off the camera.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 7:09 PM   #9

Alfisti, download some full size images from a Fuji site. You need a control image from something that isn't your camera!

I can't remember 'cos it's a while since I was there, but look up the Frontier printer section. Also ask them to print you a copy of the Fuji Calibration Image (test target). This has sample colour and greyscale patches plus 4 small real pics on 8X4.

If they've never seen or heard of this test target they're not much good! The reverse side will be printed with something like: CH1 OR40221QC ID701966 RF40221 newcal ib icd jpg. The last string is the test file that produced the print.

I have to say that whenever I apply the 'auto brightness/contrast' tool on most pics from my 602, they come to life, but I under expose 1/3 stop anyway . But this is what I believe the Frontier does for prints straight off the camera. I know this doesn't work for special shots like sunsets and creative work, but auto balance makes a whole batch of happy snappy prints look reasonably similar. However, whites may be burned out and underexposed pics will show more noise due to exposure averaging.

Checkout these links, there's a 22Mb TIFF target on the Dry Creek site, not quite like mine, but if you get a print of it you can stick it alongside your monitor. Once you've read and understood this stuff you can go round sorting out their Frontier printers!

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontie...reparation.htm
http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/frontier_resize.htm
http://digilander.libero.it/tartamil...ontier-en.html

Good luck VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote