Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:58 PM   #1

Hello,

I used to spend time at another forum, now closed (http://www.canons3is.com). They used to have a sub-forum just for links (to tutorial and other sites). The links were really, really great. Could we have a sub-forum dedicated just to links?

Yes, some of the links were tutorials that were also selling paper photo guides, or books, or courses. But they were quite good. Anybody could register and post, and add links, and they were all pretty helpful.

Could we do that here? Maybe one thread in that sub-forum for official manufacturer links, one one thread for a list of photo-sharing web services and peoples' experiences with each service, and one "catch-all" thread for everything else, like luminous-landscape and cambridge-in-colour and so forth (and the digicam simulator at photonhead.com -- great idea BTW, to play around with ISO, aperture, and DOF).

The reason I ask is because I am looking for a link that I unfortunately did not put in my browser.

I am looking for a tutorial on getting the correct exposure. It involved taking a picture of a lady sitting in a chair. Behind the chair was an open window, with lace curtains framing the window opening. The lady was backlit (daylight coming through the window). I found the site and then lost it. I found it a second time and posted about it at the canons3is site. Now that the site is gone, I am looking for it for a third time.

Can anybody help me? I may have bookmarked it, but I had a hard drive failure a few months back.

Also, a sub-forum dedicated to user-posted links would be a great help. I'm sure of it.

REMEMBER: 1. Preserve Nature. 2. Always wear a helmet.
3. Ride safely. 4. Read owners manual carefully before riding.

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:22 AM   #2
Administrator

We already have a forum setup for Photo Sharing Site Links and this is probably one of the most abused forums here, since commercial sites use it to plug themselves frequently to get more business, using our server resources to do it.

That's the biggest problem with forums dedicated for links. They are abused by vendors that are looking for free advertising and it's very tough to police. It's hard enough keeping out the spammers (and scammers) now, and that eats up resources (server, bandwidth and our time), and it's not fair to Steve to pull traffic away from here, pointing to other commercial sites.

Everybody and their brother seems to have a digital camera related site now (with more popping up every day), and they use our forums to get more traffic, often pretending to be a satisfied user of products and services that they are plugging for commercial gain.

It's very common to see new sites popup with tutorials often, too (mostly designed to try and pull in traffic to get revenue from the advertising on their site), and they use sites like ours to help build their business by posting links here. For example, a google search now finds around 3 Millon pages with the words Photography Lessons:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...mp;btnG=Search

There are over 100,000 matches for a search with these words:

backlight window portrait lesson

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...mp;btnG=Search

Steve does have a links page to some photography related sites here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digresources.html

Kalypso also started a "sticky" type thread in our Lighting Forum with links to sites you may find helpful. If you find the link to the tutorial you're looking for, add it to this thread:

Studio Lighting and Better Shooting Links

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:40 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

We'll give your suggestion some thought, despite the abuse we often get from vendors posting links for financial gain (even pretending to be happy users of their own products and services on an almost daily basis). lol

We are spending some time looking at what we can do with the site to make it more useful for our members here. So, your idea is appreciated.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:03 PM   #4

I'm sorry, I forgot about "astroturfing".

And arguments about what sites are "too commercial" could go on for years.

I'll follow the links you gave me. It is a good start.

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote