Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:08 PM   #1

Default Family, Camping, Sports - Camera Recommendations

We have been looking at cameras for the last two months and would appreciate some outside imput from users not salesman. We have a young family that is active in which we would like to take alot of still and action shots both close and afar. We have been looking at the Canon G-3 and Olympus C-750 as possibiliteis (leaning towards the Oly). I would appreciate any insight or recommendations on either pf the two cameras above or another camara we have not considered. Thank you.
aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:25 PM   #2

Where the Oly 750 accelerates is the long zoom, and the Canon G3 is better in low light (with its F2 lens and focus assist beam which helps the camera focus in low light; you can add that feature to the 750 with an Olympus FL-40 flash but it costs almost as much as the camera).

What you need to do is decide what you want in a camera before you start looking at the hardware.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 6:41 PM   #3

I tend to agree with Mike.....it seems people tend not to realize the differences in some cameras (hey I did it too).
I own the Oly c750 and have had no problems with it EXCEPT in low light and I mean low, it does not excel at this.
My problem with it is not that it can't take the picture but you surely need a tripod for night shots.By night I'm talking being by the lake trying to shoot scenery with the moonlight.You probably will never be shooting this dark.
The zoom is amazing on it and you'd be hard pressed to find another camera in this class with such a zoom.
In my opinion both of these cameras are overkill for what you stated you wanted them for but that is no reason not to buy one.I'd rather grow into a camera than need to buy a new one in 3 months.The Olympus has manual modes and automatic so if you want just a point and shoot with great zoom its there.When you get familiar with the camera switch to manual.
The choice between these to cameras is this in my opinion.....is zoom really important to you? If so the Oly is your choice.
I'm not sure what the optical zoom is on the Canon but probably in the 3x-4x range.......don't be fooled by digital zoom it is almost useless.
I stand by my choice of buying the Oly and have not had a regret
See my link below for some pictures......hopefully It'll stop raining so I can take some on a sunny day
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:51 PM   #4

I agree, go with the Olympus. It gives you full control as with a SLR and you won't be disappointed. BTW, is a Gig-em! in order?
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 6:57 AM   #5

Would the Olympus C-750 be ready for action shooting? I thought the Canon was a bit more responsive with start and shutter.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 1:32 PM   #6

Thank you all for your resopnses. I too would post the question - how well will each camera I mentioned do in focusing and shooting at outside sporting events such as soccer or rodeo and how well would the cameras do at inside shots such as volleyball or basketball. Thanks again AGGIE.
aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 1:44 PM   #7

aggie

If you use manual focusing on either camera you can avoid the shutter lag problem. If you want to use the auto program, depress the shutter half way until the ready light appears in the viewfinder and you will do away with the shutter lag. I would think that the Oly with the long lens would be much better for outdoor shooting.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 2:25 PM   #8

Maybe you should also consider the Fuji S602. I do not own it but looked/drooled over the reviews. It is fast, goes upto iso 1600 and has an equivalent of 210mm zoom. However take note that it is said the S602 focussing is not always optimal in dark situations (it has manual focus), and the iso 800 & 1600 only works only in 1mP mode.

I suspect you are in doubt over a couple of cameras who all have just a few options you need. The combination of zoom power/ indoor sports/ responsive is something of the D-SLR legion (the S602 comes most close).

Maybe you should list down what priorities come first. Which photos will be the most important to show off and which photos should anyhow whatever the quality be possible. I ended up with the smaller version of the S602 the F601 and sacrified the zoom and easy slr like manual for sake of having a pocket nightlife camera. Both are fast.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 4:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie
Thank you all for your resopnses. I too would post the question - how well will each camera I mentioned do in focusing and shooting at outside sporting events such as soccer or rodeo and how well would the cameras do at inside shots such as volleyball or basketball. Thanks again AGGIE.
Watch the shutter lag for action shots - you can deal with it to a fair extent by using the "half pressed shutter" so the exposure and focus are set. Also keep in mind that in low light (a comfortable light level for reading is very low light) no consumer digicam is likely to do well with action shots. You will need a high ISO which comes with high price. You can generally consider that the highest one or two ISO settings are pretty much useless because of high noise levels. Often still useable for low resolution (e.g., web use) because downsizing "averages" pixels.

Also keep in mind that the high zoom cameras use an EVF (close cousin to the LCD) as a viewfinder. Some folks have problems with those for action shots so try it out before buying.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote