Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:51 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm using my old stuff-Fujifilm Finepix S602z as the attachment below to do some photo shooting...

Finally,i found that 'she' always out of focus...even i'm using the Zoom-in Focus function to shooting...what i saw in the view finder is perfect focusing..but at last,out of focus in the Computer when enlarge it.

Why?Because of Zoom in with shoot with f.2.8??or Low light?? i think i face this problem even Out Door shoot.

Need your Pro helps..thanks
Attached Images

MacTreoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:56 PM   #2

It seems the terminology you're using is different from the terminology used in the FinePix S602 Owner's Manual [,]http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/bin/FX-S602_Manual.pdf ], so I can't tell exactly what's going on.

Are you using manual focus? ... the Focus Check button? ... the One-touch AF button? ... the AF/AE Lock (pressing the shutter button halfway down)?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

It's also possible that you are enlarging it in the computer so much that it's always going to look fuzzy.

As a rule of thumb if it looks good at 25-33% magnification on screen then you're viewing it within the design parameters.

If you are viewing at 100% that's like looking at a print under a fairly strong magnifying glass. Things look fuzzy that close up.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4

If I understand you correctly, you say you zoom in to focus, then zoom back out to take a photo?

If so, your problem might be that the lens does not hold focus while you zoom. Most zoom lenses built today do not, it is part of the design.

So you should focus at the focal length you want to use for the photo.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Administrator

I think he probably means he's using the focus check button (which enlarges the center of the EVF).

If that looks sharp, my best guess is that it's not a focus problem.

It's more likely a shutter speed problem.

MacTreoUser, can you downsize one of the problem images to around 640 pixels wide and post it here?

If using Photoshop, make sure to use Save As versus Save for Web to prevent stripping out the EXIF (a header in the image file that contains the camera settings used to take the photo). That would help to narrow down the cause of your issues.

But, I'm thinking it may be just a simple shutter speed issue causing blur from camera shake or subject movement if the image in your viewfinder looks sharp, even when enlarged. Do you know what your shutter speeds were for these images and what focal length they were taken at?

Without seeing a sample of what you're referring to, and seeing the camera settings being used, we can only speculate as to the cause. So, I'd post a sample if possible.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:37 AM   #6

Hi,

Thanks for willing to give helps..

Ya JimC are right...focus check button (which enlarges the center of the EVF),this is a wonderful function that Fuji provide.in another words..sure will get the Right Focus..but unluckily..haa..OUT

below attachment is one of the Photos..try to Auto Focus the Kopi~the Black Water..but at last...Focus are on the white Rice..

And this is some of the EXIF:
1/20
f.2.8
Focal Length-7.8mm
Metering-Pattern
ISO-400
WB-Tungsten
Auto Focus
Attached Images

Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:53 AM   #7

There are a few things that I think could be going wrong.

First, the cup of coffee seems to be close. With the S602's Macro mode switched off, it's minimum focus distance is 50cm. Is it possible that the coffee cup is closer than the lens can focus?

Also, in the S602 Owner's Manual, the following note appears:

"The FinePix S602 ZOOM uses an external AF sensor (external-light passive phase difference AF) that features faster AF operation than previous models. The external AF sensor does not operate in Macro or Super Macro mode, when the digital zoom or AREA AF is used, or when "SET ADAPTER RING - YES" is specified. Focusing may take longer if the external AF sensor is soiled (P.86)."

Is it possible that any of those settings is on?

Lastly, the manual lists, under "Subjects Not suitable for Auto Focus","Very shiny subjects such as a mirror or car body". The coffee cup and the surface of the coffee are shiny and may not be suitable for the S602's autofocus feature, but the S602 could focus on th erice without a problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:06 AM   #8
Administrator

I'm thinking it may be too close, also.

You'd probably have some parallax error because of the distance between the passive sensors and CCD at distances that close and the top sensors may be missing your target.

So, I'd try the Macro Mode (you'll see an icon that looks like a flower when you're in macro mode).

You may also want to try using a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number) if you want to get more of the scene in focus. But, I'd use a tripod if you do that (because your shutter speeds will be slower if you use a different aperture setting).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:03 PM   #9

I'm inclined to agree that you may have a focus issue, both from not being in macro mode and maybe auto-focus issues but other factors may affect the picture as well.

Your shutter speed was 1/20 so motion blur may be contributing to the image softness if you weren't using a tripod.

After doing some sharpening it does that appear that there is a plane of sharper focusbounded by the rear visible edges of the saucer and the front visible edge of the rice plate. If so then stopping the lens down should improve the DOF.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:18 AM   #10

Thanks for those are willing to give me some idea to solve it!!

Do you think the Auto focus mode from S602 is not that function very clever?haa...

cause,you can see in the picture..it's not cause by the shaken because the a part of the white rice is the focus clear area...it's out of target...

I'm agree that the Macro function is not a real Macro...means,while the object are far away 1 ft from lens,we do need the Macro fucntion to support the Auto Focus to catch the right aim..