Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1

I am getting ready to buy a camera and I am tempted to buy one of those extended warranty repairs that retail stores give.
Why get it? Well too many of my friends and family members (about 4) Have had their screens break(dropped about a foot from hand to mattress!), or crack for seemingly no reason at all. Another person their camera turns on but won't zoom out. And there is the whole hot to cold issue with moisture builld up. All these problem have left them with functionless cameras. These extnded warrantiees cost less than $50 dollars for three years of service like this:

Product Care Plans cover 100% parts & labor costs for:
- Mechanical and Electrical Failures
- Damage from Power Surges
- Normal Wear & Tear Failures
- Damage Caused by Environmental Factors The Plan Covers Common Repairs Including:
- Playback and Recording Head Failure
- Performance Problems
- Shutter and Autofocus Problems
- Fast Forward and Rewind Motors
- and more!
All free

I feel this is such a great thing. But I rarely hear people talk about their camera's breaking. Is it a wise investment? Has anyone ever wished they had bought one?

Canonfavoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:42 AM   #2

I usually never get extended warranties. If you're getting a cheap point & shoot camera, an extended warranty probably is overkill. If you're getting a high-end camera, such as a DSLR, an extended warranty from the manufacturer might be warranted. I never go for in-store warranties though.

Also, it's worth noting that some premium credit card companies automatically extend the terms of manufacturer warranties for an additional year or two. I know that all American Express cards offer one year of additional warranty coverage (same terms as manufacturer's warranty). Check your credit company's benefits to see if you have such a service.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:01 AM   #3

Yeah. I know what you mean about the credit card extensions but that is usuallyon the manufactures warranty not accidental damage warranty. I have heard that extended warranties from big companies like Circuit City and Best Buy are better . Often times little mishapes happen and the costs are great. I just got on this forum and didn't search it correctly before postingand it seems I may be finding my answer now in past posts.
Canonfavoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:58 AM   #4

See http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:12 PM   #5

I don't see anything in what you posted that would make that warranty different than most when it comes to cracked LCDs. Even dropping it on a mattress is considered abuse and they never believe you were looking at it and it just suddenly cracked on its own. Unless the warranty says it will repair a cracked LCD it probably won't.

Consumer Reports over the years has recommended the extended warranty only for a very few things like projection TVs. They aren't economic for most things. For anything but a DSLR it is obsolete by the time the manufacturer's warranty and gold card extension expires.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:06 AM   #6

There is nothing in the listed coverage you provide that says it will cover either accidents or abuse. I have read other threads, one recently on another forum, where someone purchased an extended warranty, in this case for a laptop. The store warranty cost him $500 and when he attempted to get repairs under the warranty, the service department claimed it had been abused, and the store did not honor the warranty. (BB)

I have never wished I had purchased the extended warranty, but there have been a couple times I wished I had saved the money it cost. The reason many stores and dealers push these, is that they are great moneymakers for the store, being almost completely without cost to them.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:33 AM   #7

Canonfavoring wrote:
Quote:
I am getting ready to buy a camera and I am tempted to buy one of those extended warranty repairs that retail stores give.
Why get it? Well too many of my friends and family members (about 4) Have had their screens break(dropped about a foot from hand to mattress!), or crack for seemingly no reason at all. Another person their camera turns on but won't zoom out. And there is the whole hot to cold issue with moisture builld up. All these problem have left them with functionless cameras. These extnded warrantiees cost less than $50 dollars for three years of service like this:

Product Care Plans cover 100% parts & labor costs for:
- Mechanical and Electrical Failures
- Damage from Power Surges
- Normal Wear & Tear Failures
- Damage Caused by Environmental Factors The Plan Covers Common Repairs Including:
- Playback and Recording Head Failure
- Performance Problems
- Shutter and Autofocus Problems
- Fast Forward and Rewind Motors
- and more!
All free

I feel this is such a great thing. But I rarely hear people talk about their camera's breaking. Is it a wise investment? Has anyone ever wished they had bought one?
It might be interesting to see a link to the actual list of what is covered. Sure doesn't look like that one applies to digital cameras - recording head? Fast forward? Rewind?

I would stay away from any outfit that claimed that was their warentee. It looks like they will replace your camera for any reason except a hit by an atsteroid larger than a mile across.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote