Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:57 AM   #1

Hi,my little sister is having a planned C section on Tuesday and wants me to take photos of her and her baby, immediately after delivery. I've got a Fiuj s9600, but I don't want to mess this up. Should I take the pictures in a mixture of portrait and macro mode? the flash- would it be best turned off, I dont want to startle the baby as soon as its born! LOL
Im beginning to panic a bit, Ihave been practising on a doll but its not quite the same is it! Also I won't really have much control over the lighting in hospital. I appreciate any advise you have to offer :G:G:
bonjen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:06 PM   #2

IMO, leave the lens cap ON and the switch OFF.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:58 PM   #3

Brian may well have the best technique nailed down.

If you reallly want to do that, shoot in RAW since the light is likely to be some strange mix of tungsten, daylight, and whatever those strange blue lights that seem to exist only in hospitals. Easier to deal with adjusting the white balance with RAW.

Spend a bit of time experimenting with higher ISO. Find out how large your sister is likely to want any prints since downsizing will help a bit with high ISO noise.

Ask the hospital staff about using the flash.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 2:55 PM   #4

Lighting will be bad. There will be very little of it, too much of it,it will be anunflattering mixture of temperatures, or any combination of the three. Shooting RAW will give you a lot of options you won't have otherwise.

Flash will get around the lighting problem for the most part, but may introduce problems of its own. You'll probably be close, so the baby might be overexposed while the mother is underexposed, or vice versa. Bounce flash would be best, if you can do it. If not, a diffuser might help.

But I think the best advice has already been provided by VTphotog.

I love photography, but I like it less when I'm doing it for someone else.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 6:49 PM   #5

mmmmmmmmmm, your replies puzzled me until I re-read my initial post.I will not be taking pictures of the c section itself , but pictures of the mother and baby when they are taken back to the ward. So no blood and guts, just precious pictures of a mum with her newborn baby in the first hour of his/her life
bonjen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 7:41 PM   #6

I assumed you were going for this kind of shot:

I didn't have a camera that could shoot RAW when our Grandson was born so there is more than a bit of strange color in there. A big circular florecent/neon/whatever light that I could at least adjust so it bounced off the ceiling making it dim enough that I had to up the ISO in a digicam that didn't do well with that. Flash had quit working so that wasn't an option.

Photos were't the main point of the occasion in any case.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:46 PM   #7

bonjen3 wrote:
Quote:
I will not be taking pictures of the c section itself , but pictures of the mother and baby when they are taken back to the ward.
... and that's exactly what I was talking about. When my youngest grandchild was born, the hospital kept the lights subdued in the mother's room, and probably in the nursery as well, though I didn't check. I wasn't sure how close I'd be able to get to them to take pictures, so I brought my 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5. The room was so dim that I was taking shots at 1/8". Even a newborn creates motion blur at 1/8". And I was reluctant to use flash in such a dimly lit room, lest we all be blinded for a few minutes.

The lens on your Fuji S9500 has a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the 35mm equivalent of a 28mm lens. Newborns are small, so you'll probably zoom in a little which will probably reduce your maximum aperture to about f/3.5. In a dimly lit room, you'll be right where I was.

Good luck with it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote