Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2007, 3:42 PM   #1

Is there any type of software that will auto rotate or better yet detect photo orientation when downloading pics from digital cameras?

currently i use the microsoft scanner/photo wizard in xp to download my pics to my computer.. and with that after the downloads I would have to rotate the images that I shot vertically.

pbosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:18 PM   #2

This is more camera specific than software. You see, there needs to be an 'orientation sensor' in the camera. That sets a flag in the image which software can check and then autorotate based on the sensor information.

There may be a software only solution, but I am not aware of one.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:23 PM   #3

i have a canon a570IS ... any idea if my camera has the 'orientation' feature?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:21 PM   #4

From page 58 of the PowerShot A570 IS Camera User Guide Advanced:

"Your camera is equipped with an Itelligent Orientation sensor that detects the orientation of an image shot with the camera held vertically and automatically rotates it to the correct orientation when viewing it in the LCD monitor."

So, yes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:52 PM   #5

ya if i hold the LCD it will auto rotate the pictures.. like the iPhone.

but i want them on my PC all orientated the same way i.e. portrait. gonna try adobe elements sofware to see if it will allow me to download all pics that way.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:02 PM   #6

update..

photoshop elements downloads all pics from my camera orientated the right way .. i.e. portrait. which is what I want.

but then when i open the folder (download pics) from windows explorer the photos are still not orientated correctly. i still have to rotate them.. arrgh

any ideas?

Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:13 AM   #7

pbosco wrote:
Quote:
ya if i hold the LCD it will auto rotate the pictures.. like the iPhone.

but i want them on my PC all orientated the same way i.e. portrait. gonna try adobe elements sofware to see if it will allow me to download all pics that way.
Have you tried downloading them using Canon's ZoomBrowser? I think this application does the auto rotating if you set it do so.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:48 AM   #8

pbosco wrote:
Quote:
Is there any type of software that will auto rotate or better yet detect photo orientation when downloading pics from digital cameras?
My current Kodak Z712 does it automatically, if I wish, in-camera when the shot is saved, so just copying the file across with a card reader gives the correct orientation.

However, most digicams I've dealt with didn't, even though some had orientation sensor information written into the EXIF file.

The quick method I use for themis to use the 'thumbnails' display in the excellent shareware 'Irfanview' ( www.irfanview.com ), and go through multi-selecting by eye all the images in a batch that need a particular rotation. There's then a menu entry for 'JPG lossless operations' > 'Lossless transformation with selected files' that allows you due the lot with one mouse click. (Note that the original file is overwritten.)

Good luck!
Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:53 PM   #9

I use Zoombrowser (EX 4.1) to download (from a Canon G3 & card reader), and the pics go into the folder of my choice rotated as they should be. When they are opened with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (which I find to be simple and quick), they are correctly rotated.

My question is: Is there a simpler program that does this? Rotating is all I use ZB for, and it is a monster program with all kinds of stuff I don't want (I use PS7 for editing).

What else out there will auto rotate (losslessly) as it downloads from the card?

Any help appreciated. - Ned
Ned88 is offline   Reply With Quote