Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2003, 12:28 PM   #1

Default 360 One vs 0-360 panoramic optic (one shot panoramas !)

@Steve and all of you....

Is that product nearly the same as Kaidan 360 one...?

They say it's the same... and + i see that it does 115degrees horizontal compared to 100 for the kaidan.

http://www.0-360.com/index.asp

595$US instead of 995$US !

I'm waiting for advices guy...thanks in advance.
Slingky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2003, 1:29 PM   #2

Hi All,

Just my enquiring mind and curiosity about these gizmos. If they are optical and capture to a single frame, then what gets saved as an image is an optically compressed (horizontally that is) image.

So when you de-compress in post, i.e stretch the image horizontally, - aren't you going to lose a lot of resolution? I guess it would be OK for web pics though.

So on top of the price you pay for the lens, do you need 12Mpix plus of resolution in your saved image to get decent sharp prints at 300 dpi?

This is not the case with a stitched pano, the capture resolution is the same as the output resolution across the wide output image.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
...So when you de-compress in post, i.e stretch the image horizontally, - aren't you going to lose a lot of resolution? I guess it would be OK for web pics though. ...
I've not used one of those, but for sure you are not going to have the resolution of a stitched image. Much easier though.

I also doubt that there would be much gain from going to a very high pixel count camera - all of those mirror systems have to use a front silvered mirror that is exposed to the elements. Unless you are shooting only in the clean rooms of a chip manufacturer, the odds of avoiding dust is almost zero.

360 degree panoramas are mostly for the web in any case since there is bad distortion from the projection to a flat surface without using a viewer (PTViewer, QuickTime, ...) to limit the field of view. Flat cylindrical projections of landscapes are OK, but arctitecture looks a bit bizare.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 6:10 AM   #4

Thanks Bill, the way I thought it might work (Like 16X9 in TV), was that you shot the wide image squeezed optically into a standard frame, then their software applied the right amout of stretch to match the lens afterwards. So a 3 X standard lens angle scene gets squeezed to 1X, and software restores the image to 3X but with the pano resolution now divided by 3.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 8:34 AM   #5

It isn't likely to be that simple: different parts of the image might be "streched" by different amounts.

Since the image from the mirror is circular, only part of the CCD is used. To be exact, at most 3*pi/16 (58.9%) of a 4:3 aspect ratio CCD will be used. That could be increased somewhat by using a "cone" with an eliptic cross section insead of circular, but that would increase the price and difficulty of use.

In addition, there is a bit in the center of the image that is taken up by the support.

One effect of increasing the vertical field of view (comparing the 0-360 to the 360 One) is to decrease the vertical resolution.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 9:29 AM   #6

but more than that, cause i think i will buy the 0-360.com product, but Kaidan seems to have a reputation.

So is Kaidan product really better than 0-360.com or they just charge a higher price because of their reputation ?

Thanks again,
Maxime
Slingky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:13 PM   #7

Damn, somebody stole my idea.

Seriously... I was wondering recently if such a product existed/ was possible. I guess it is!
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote