Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2003, 5:55 PM   #1

Default Card Reader problem

I purchased a 7-in-1 Lexar card reader. My computer recognizes the three drives in the reader, but will not recognize a Smart Media or XD card. I tried unplugging all other devices and rebooting, but no change. I figure the reader could be defective, but wanted to rile out any other causes before I ship it back to B&H. Anyone have any suggestions? THX - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2003, 7:00 PM   #2
lg

Give this a try: open up windows explorer, right click on the drive and select Properties. Then see if your reader will recognize the card in the drive. I've had to do this on one of the workstation at work a few times.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:45 PM   #3

Try downloading the latest drivers...I know they say they don't require drivers, but Windows has built-in drivers for readers, and they may be obsolete...check with Lexar's website.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:01 PM   #4

LG & Mike - THX for your replies, I tried both, no luck. A friend of mine who is a whiz with sytems, programs, etc advises that my much upgraded 4-year old computer is probably 1.0 and not 2.0 compatable (about the speed of Firewire). The Lexar card reader, is of course, 2.0. So I guess I'll have to return until I'm ready to upgrade the computer (buy a digital SLR, or new a computer - I only have enough $$ for one currently). Lexar, by the way, was absolutely no help. No 1-800 number and no response to two emails. I won't be buying from them again......THX . - jonh
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote