Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:46 PM   #31

Great information from everybody, I really like getting different viewsthe topic. As forthere being DSLRsnobs, I don't think anybody here is a snob. Think it is more like camera pride; people are just proud of the cameras they own.This leaves me back where I started, what camera system am I going to get for Christmas. But that's a subject for a different board.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:07 PM   #32

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
... what camera system am I going to get for Christmas.
What did you ask Santa for?

And were you good?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:44 PM   #33

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
... what camera system am I going to get for Christmas.
What did you ask Santa for?

And were you good?
Really haven't made up my mind yet. Bouncing between what I really need and what I would like to buy. As I don't sell my work anymore, can I justify a D80 or A700 which I'm sure would be lots of fun to use, or just a high end P&S or the E510 system. As you can see I'm all over the camera buying board. IfI left it up to the wife she go with a D200 and top end glass (would be nice) but is that just a bit of over kill for doing a few 8x10 prints. Yes, I have been very good this year.:G
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:46 PM   #34

There's a lot of top end glass to choose from in each of those neighborhoods. That would be a fun decision to make. Happy shopping.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:51 PM   #35

Yes, all I have to do is make up my mind as to which camera the wife wants me to pick. :?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:37 AM   #36
Super Moderator

Dude - the right system to buy is the best one the wife will allow!

My personal strategy is to put aside some money into a "hobby fund" each month, and then when I have enough in there to get something nice - time to hit the shops.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:19 AM   #37
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Dude - the right system to buy is the best one the wife will allow!
Also taking beautiful pictures to complement your spouse (or family) help greatly... in the negotiation :-) :lol: :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:35 AM   #38

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
...IfI left it up to the wife she go with a D200 and top end glass ...
Hey guys! I don't think there's much chance of failed negotiations here! Even if Calicajun does nothing, he'll end up with a world class system!

My lifelong ambition has always been to be kept.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:43 AM   #39
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Also taking beautiful pictures to complement your spouse (or family) help greatly... in the negotiation :-) :lol: :G
Be very careful with your arguments.

Make sure you read any disclaimers carefully when taking advise from others on negotiating photography with your wife. ;-)

For example, I had a recent exchange with a photographer on another forum about discussing photography with a wife. I was commenting on some photos of models on the beach. He always gets super shots on the beach with his Minolta 135mm f/2.8.

I thought this was hilarious. :-)

Here are some excerpts...

Me:
"Splendid Images....

I have really got to find some time to use my Minolta 135mm f/2.8 more. But, my subjects would not be as interesting as yours. ;-)

Him:
[snip]
You should consider finding some "interesting subjects" too - it does make life enjoyable.

Me:
"That would depend on whether or not my wife saw the images. If she saw them, it might make life less enjoyable at home if my subjects were as interesting as yours. ;-)"

Him:
"Well.. you could say something like "You know what dear? I spent the day photographing a beautiful young model, but she is nowhere near as beautiful as you"

Disclaimer: The above advice is only intended as a guide My wife left me 18 months ago."

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:35 AM   #40

Hi All,

Well you have all proven that these forums not only contain a wealth of information but also a great sense of humor.:G

Yes the subject matter I shoot now that I'm married (22 years) has changed a bit. I'm no longer allowed to set up nude photo shoots for the club at work or attend any if there was one set up by someone else.:sad:Oh well things change and live goes on, as long as Mommy is happy anyway. As to what camera I (we) will end up with who knows. Though I did find out that the family is conspirering against, with my early retirement coming up in June 2008, they think I should (they want me to) go back into shooting weddings. That would justify a FF camera system but what a way to mess up a good hobby and retirement (no offense to the wedding photographers).

Did some shooting today and saw what you were talking about with EVF being slower. Just never paid attention ito it before for some reason, guess I just became use to the limitations of the EVF and thoughtof it as normal.