Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:02 PM   #1

Default Help! scrapper wife threatening death if E10 cant do better

Hello,
I have an olympus E10 camera. I love it, but I only enjoy my pictures on my computer. My wife has gotten into scrapbooking and wants me to print out some of my prints. I have a $2500 HP 4600 color laser printer. I bought a ream of Kodak paper, I put it in, the pictures come out looking like crapola. I have done them as high as 1600x1200 and they are still very subpar. Whats the deal? Am I an idiot? Will this thing NEVER do a decent print? I have gotten them a little better with photoshop. Any Help is GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lame prints

:lol:
TR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:26 PM   #2

Try using HP paper. I tried to use Kodak paper in my Epson 2200 - I had the same problem. When I called Epson and the rep asked me what kind of paper I was using and I said Kodak, there was a long pause and then the rep replied "Sir, you cannot use Kodak paper in our printers." I thought he was just trying to sell me Epson paper, but when I switched, I got beautiful prints. P.S. - that blue type you are using is very brutal on the eyes......
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:44 PM   #3

Sorry about the blue font, it must have defaulted or I hit a command by mistake. It blew me away when I was reading it.

THANKS!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:48 PM   #4

You're not an idiot, you're using the wrong printer. Laser printers aren't intended for photo quality. It doesn't matter what paper you use or what the source image is, they're designed for business graphics and like charts, not photos. For $60 or so you can get an inkjet printer that will give you astonishing photo quality with the images from your E-10. Unfortunately inkjet prints don't have the long life of true photo prints so you can just take your memory card to Costco and have prints made dirt cheap.

BTW, take photos in high resolution if you want to print them. 1200x1600 is marginal for 8x10 prints. Best to shoot at full resolutino then resize a copy for screen display.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:51 PM   #5

Sounds fair enough, but they should look waaaaaaay better than they do. I mean the color is all off etc.
At least it seems that way to me.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:51 PM   #6

Sounds fair enough, but they should look waaaaaaay better than they do. I mean the color is all off etc.
At least it seems that way to me.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:52 PM   #7

First thing, please switch back to the default text color :shock: Okay, as for your question, laser printers in general are not good for photo printing. No matter what companies will say, even on their advertising brochures, laser just doesn't do justice to photos. Inkjet and dyesub technology provide much better looking photo prints than lasers, which I would reserve for graphics prints. Instead of purchasing new equipment you may also use photo printing services like Walmart or Costco, they print 4x6's pretty cheap, and I know at least Costco prints on nice Fuji Crystal Archive paper. At costco I pay $0.19 for 4x6 prints, cheaper than the average $0.39 prints from regular film. I used to have an E-10, and had hundreds of photos printed at Costco, they all look great, crisp and colors were dead on.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote