Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 6, 2007, 4:31 AM   #1

Just a bit of curiosity on my part. I'm left handed but when looking through the viewfinder on a camera I invariably use my right eye.

I don't know if this is anything to do with the shutter button usually being located on the right on cameras.

Any thoughts anyone?

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2007, 6:45 AM   #2

As you can see from my avatar, I use my left eye at the optical viewfinder. There is an advantage to using your right eye, however. When you use your right eye, your left eye is unobstructed, so you can use it to look for subjects to shot.This ismost useful in fast moving settings like sports.

This situation arises because cameras do have a handedness, much like firearms. But unlike firearms, you can't special order a left-handed camera.

In my situation, though, the vision in my right eye is pretty bad, so I can't really use it to see through the optical viewfinder.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:32 AM   #3

I think one would use the eye with the better vision. For me that would be my right eye.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:05 AM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
As you can see from my avatar, I use my left eye at the optical viewfinder. There is an advantage to using your right eye, however. When you use your right eye, your left eye is unobstructed, so you can use it to look for subjects to shot.This ismost useful in fast moving settings like sports.

This situation arises because cameras do have a handedness, much like firearms. But unlike firearms, you can't special order a left-handed camera.

In my situation, though, the vision in my right eye is pretty bad, so I can't really use it to see through the optical viewfinder.
Mine is the opposite eye. I can't see out of my left eye (congenital). Never knew what it is like to see out of two eyes so I guess I don't know what I am missing.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:36 AM   #5

I'm right handed and use my left eye. Not sure why, never consciously thought about it. From what I understand, most everyone has a dominant eye, just like everyone is either subconciously left handed or right handed. Approximately 2/3 of the population is right eye dominant, which I guess leaves me in the minority. I don't think which eye we use is something we choose or even think about, (unless you're one of the small percentage of people who don't have a dominant eye. I also don't think there is an advantage to using one eye over the other.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 2:30 PM   #6

I'm also right handed but use my left eye.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:17 PM   #7

As others have said most people have a dominant eye. Mine's my right eye and I'm right handed but there isn't a direct correlation. When I was tested for dominance for contact lenses I came out as left eye dominant but that just didn't feel right to me. Tested again I came out as right eyed, I think this just means that I'm weakly right eyed whereas with some people it's a more pronounced effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:50 PM   #8

Interesting subject

I'm left eyed. This has been a small problem with some cameras. I always assumed it was becuase I'm left handed but from what I read here I'm wrong.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:06 PM   #9

Ready for the real curve ball?

When I use my camera I use my left eye. If I shoot a rifle or shotgun I use my right eye!! Of course this has more to do with being right handed but it's still quirky that I ended up using my left eye when I use a camera. Go figure!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:16 PM   #10
Administrator

Right for me. But, then again, if I had a camera with different viewfinder placement...

CKA-00301S Digital Camera with 2 Viewfinders :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote