Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:47 AM   #1

when taking photos with my kodak z612 camera I have noticed dark areas in the top corners of the pics (vignetting). Previously I used a kodak z740 and this didn't occur....why does the z612 do this but the z740 doesn't? z740 has kodak lense and z612 schneider.

have seen advice online saying to take the stop down but don't know anything about doing this as I'm notan expert photographer...yet....and still learning...

any advice appreciated....
tinman9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:24 AM   #2

Your Kodak Z612 has a maximum aperture of f/2.8. The advice you've seen saying 'take the stop down' means to adjust the aperture so that the f-number is numerically larger. You can adjust the aperture using the 'Aperture Priority' mode.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3

tinman9898 wrote:
Quote:
z612 camera I have noticed dark areas in the top corners of the pics (vignetting).
Yes, this is one one of my few disappointments with my Z712. I have taken several panoramasof the surroundings from viewpoints nearmy home, using max 432mm equiv. zoom, and they won't stitch satisfactorily because of the vignetting.

There are several answers to this problem....

1. Use a post-processing filter in Photoshop or PSP to correct it by brightening the corners. I haven't tried this yet, but I know it must be possible.

2. In panoramas, use a bigger overlap, and crop out the corners before stitching.

3. Be more modest in your zooming at wide apertures, being aware of the possible problem.

To be fair, we're expecting a lot from this amazing lens in a camera costing around 200 ukpounds. There have to be some limitations!

If you try any of these possible solutions, please tell us if they work.

Good luck,

Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:23 PM   #4

well, I took some photos of St. Andrews the other day have cropped of the corners in psp.

you can see the results here...

http://www.sites.ecosse.net/travelth...ery/index.html

pics are slightly compressed for the 'interweb'.... :-)

Just curious as to why the Kodak lens is free of this problem yet the Schneider isn't? Are the lenses constructed differently in some way?
tinman9898 is offline   Reply With Quote