Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2003, 6:03 PM   #1

Default avoiding warped pictures of flat images like paintings?

HI,
I am a painter and want to get a better digital camera to avoid barreling or warped images of my paintings. Are certain cameras better than others or is there a lens attachment to help avoid this condition? Thanks!
rkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2003, 9:16 PM   #2

Default Re: avoiding warped pictures of flat images like paintings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkman
HI,
I am a painter and want to get a better digital camera to avoid barreling or warped images of my paintings. Are certain cameras better than others or is there a lens attachment to help avoid this condition? Thanks!
Beyond the standard advice to read the reviews, you shouldn't have to worry much about that since pretty much all zoom lenses have a point where the distortion is minimal. Typically a zoom lens will go from barrel distortion at the wide end to pincushion at the long end. So just experiment to find where it is minimum.

lens attachments are *MUCH* more likely to increase problems than to decrease them.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 11:29 PM   #3

If you do have any distortion, JASC's Paint Shop Pro 8 has distortion correction and perspective correction tools. They can correct barrel, fisheye, and pincushion distrortion. Also really helpful in your case is perspective correction. Just drag 4 corners onto the four corners of the frame, and then PSP will make it a perfect rectange. This is most useful on those paintings that are too tall to take the photo from the center.

A proud PSP 8 owner,
Dan O.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote