Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2003, 7:18 PM   #1

Default How important is mirror lock up?

How easy is it to use mirror lock up on the 10D? Am I going to miss not having it if I get the 300D/Digital Rebel?
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:27 PM   #2

Either it's not very important or I didn't ask the right questions.

I think for the price I'll be able to deal with no mirror lock up on the 300D.
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 3:38 PM   #3
NHL

It depends... I haven't used mine and no need to!

For macro shot with long shutter speed where camera vibration might be a problem, then a mirror lock up is nice. You also want to block out the light from the viewfinder from leaking to the sensor by locking up the mirror...
For most everyday shots you want to see what's happening or follow the actions. Locking up the mirror surely won't help :P

The main difference between the 300D and the 10D is in the area of programability, and customization of the camera to suit individual users. The Custom Functions seem to be lacking on the 300D and the rear dial... Some functions can still be accessed with the 300D, but it involves more dexterity like pushing a button while dialing the front dial for example. Another difference is the buffer size (there's also more flexibility in RAW+jpeg)... the 10D can go to 9 frames before the camera is locked up: It's less on the 300D so the 10D is a little bit faster in operation I guess.

... There's also no flash bracketing on the 300D, but Flash Exposure Lock is still there which I think is more useful of the two anyway! :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 7:00 PM   #4

The only time I have used mirror lock up was when the camera was attached to a telescope - in effect a 2,000mm lens. It was a bit big for my tripod so there was some vibration from the mirror slap. And even then, it is only important for shots where timing is critical so couldn't use the self timer, e.g., birds and other critters.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote