Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:11 AM   #1

Hi fellow shutterbugs,

Im about to travel to HK and Shanghai on a holiday. Im looking at possibly buying a Canon EF lens or two. (likely 16-35mm f/2.8 II)

a) I was wondering if anyone knows if there is general difference in price between buying in Shanghai, China Vs. Honk Kong retail prices?

b) Also, is buying direct from a (physical) retail store there cheaper than buying HK online?

c) can anyone recommend any good trustworthy retailers from those cities?

Many thanks
Jim
Jimstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2007, 6:52 PM   #2

The last time I was in Hong Kong, the prices were cheaper in the US.
Thailand is the same - cheaper in the US.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:08 AM   #3

Jim,

Take a look here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_112092_buy-camera-hong.html

The addresses and telephone numbers of the shops mentioned in the above ehow guide are listed below:

http://ygdragon.net/shops.htm

I have personally shopped at Man Shing, Wing Shing, and Tin Cheung. They are repuable shops. However, customer service is dependent upon individual shop keepers. Services tend to be better when there is less crowd e.g. during 11.00am -12.00pm on a week day.

DO AVOID shops along Nathan Road in the Tsim Sha Tsui district (i.e. tourist area in the southern tip of the Kowloon peninsula). They are notorious for scamming tourists. Mind you, Tin Cheung is a reputable shop in Tsim Sha Tsui District, but it is not on Nathan Road.

Good luck!
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:37 AM   #4

dancheng wrote:
Quote:
Jim,

Take a look here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_112092_buy-camera-hong.html

The addresses and telephone numbers of the shops mentioned in the above ehow guide are listed below:

http://ygdragon.net/shops.htm

I have personally shopped at Man Shing, Wing Shing, and Tin Cheung. They are repuable shops. However, customer service is dependent upon individual shop keepers. Services tend to be better when there is less crowd e.g. during 11.00am -12.00pm on a week day.

DO AVOID shops along Nathan Road in the Tsim Sha Tsui district (i.e. tourist area in the southern tip of the Kowloon peninsula). They are notorious for scamming tourists. Mind you, Tin Cheung is a reputable shop in Tsim Sha Tsui District, but it is not on Nathan Road.

Good luck!
Talking about scams.Almost 2 decadesago I was in HK with my family. My mother went to buy a compact film camera. She chose Model A. The guy went to the back to wrap it up. When we got home we found another model.

Was it in a touristy area? Don't recall. I'm sure there are some respectable camera shops and salesmen over there.

Being that I'm from Canada I'd rather buy locally from one of the more established and respected shops. Should anything go wrong it would just be a short trip. And the waranty is better here. At least for Nikon gear. 2 years on DSLR bodies and 5 years on lenses. Not bad.

If you buy abroad you just might void your waranty. I know if I were to buy from the US I would be buying a "US Waranty". Better to buy the body and expensive lenses locally IMHO.

My 2 cents...
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:41 AM   #5

From reading a few folks' experiences, it seems I should make a list of a few stores that seem to be more reputable than others, and seek those specific ones out first. I will also be conscious of what warranties are being offered. Should I buy any gear I will post my experience up on here and pass on the knowledge! Thanks folks for your advice so far, i'm off to print off a few pages of HK prices and addresses.
Jimstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 9:14 PM   #6

Single most important thing...
Make sure you know the prices of the equipment back home (where ever home might be). That way, at least, you will know how much you *might* be saving (or not).
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote