Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:22 AM   #1

Is there is a good lense hood for the Fuji S-9100 58mm threads (I believe) out there. My issue is that I shoot a lot of night high school sports like football and baseball and with the bright stadiu lights I get flare or round light flaring dots on the upper part of picture if I shoot anywhere close to looking at the lights or towards them

Ihad one of the other guys at a football game tell me get a good lense hood... any ideas would be appreciated. The one that came with my camera is crap or at least seems like it as it hasn't resloved the issue.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:02 AM   #2

There are generic lens hoods made for all the various filter sizes out there...go take a look at this list currently on sale at B&H..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...p;at=Size_58mm

You just have to keep in mind, if you buy one for maximum coverage at the tele end of the zoom, it's going to be too long to work at the wide angle end of the zoom. Hoods designed for cameras like the S9100 (all super zooms for that matter) have to be made to work at ALL focal lengths, so they are, really, too short to work effectively at the long end of the zoom. That's one reasonwhy pros and many advanced amatuersdon't mess with super zooms and use at leasttwo lenses...wide zoomsand telephoto zooms that start around 70-100mm...the hoods are much more effective.

The ideal hood for a super zoomwith be a telescoping type, but if you have to remember to zoom it in and out with the lens. I've had few issues with flare on my Panasonic FZ50 unless I use it with the DMW-LW55 wide angle conversion lens and try shooting with the sun in the field of view.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:32 PM   #3

It seems to me that this problem would be common to all ultrazooms. The included lens shade needs to work at any focal length, so while it might work ok for wide angles, it's of little value at telephoto.

You might consider Blackwrap. (See http://www.gamonline.com/catalog/blackwrap/index.php ).

It's thick, black anodized aluminum foil. It is mostly used as maleable barndoors for lighting, but is also just as good as a maleable lens hood. I've never used it, but I know photographers who have.

It can also be used to shield your camera from heavy weather.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. The issue I have is at all focal lenses with and without the inculded lense hood that came with my Fuji S-9100. I find the lens hood to be usless when shooting in our high school football stadium on the sidline or at baseball game with the lights on if I shoot anyway towards the lights. As for using two lenses the Fuji S-9100 has a built in lens and that was the main reasons I got it, that and the ability touse larger than 1 GB cards. 50% of my shooting is in conditions of smoke, fire, blood and such and changing lenses for me is not something I would want to do in the situations I get into. The S-9100 works well in all cases except stadium lights.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 8:04 AM   #5

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
50% of my shooting is in conditions of smoke, fire, blood and such ...
Blackwrap would also shield your camera from "conditions of smoke, fire, blood" as well as weather, and provide a good adjustable lens hood.

For conditions of "such", you're on your own. :-)

Blackwrap may not be an elegant solution, but at $20 for a 50 foot roll, it's cheaper than an elegant solution, it will probably do the job just as well (maybe better), and it's reuseable.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote