Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 25, 2003, 6:50 PM   #1
wjl

Default Jpeg Compression Question

Hope someone can answer this. Like most people, my digicam records in JPEG and I make sure to you the SHQ setting to get the least compression. When I down load i convert to TIFF images for working with the photos. Up till now I have been archiving off to CD rom the TIFF images but and starting to get a real pile of CDs. Photoshop Elements has a batch feature that allows the TIFFS to be reconverted to max quality JPEGS which gives a file size of about 2.8 meg per photo. IF if archive these off to CD (which saves a ton of space) and then reopen one of these photos to print a second copy of it, am I degrading the picture quality againg by opening it or does the quality degrade only if it is 'saved' again in JPEG. Also to extend this qeustion if a group of JPEG files is simply copied from one directory to another, does quality loss or occur when the files are re-written again to the new directory.

Thanks for any adivce.
wjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2003, 6:58 PM   #2

Quality would only degrade if you save it again. Think about it, how could you degrade the file on disk unless it's changed?
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 9:23 AM   #3
lg

Default Re: Jpeg Compression Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjl
Also to extend this qeustion if a group of JPEG files is simply copied from one directory to another, does quality loss or occur when the files are re-written again to the new directory.
No.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 11:33 AM   #4

Default Re: Jpeg Compression Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjl
...TIFFS to be reconverted to max quality JPEGS...
You lose quality right there. If you are shooting in JPG mode then those original files are what you want to archive. Saving as TIF then resaving as JPG is what you want to avoid so you don't lose quality.
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote