Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:29 PM   #1

Default How long will they last?

I have a very inexpensive printer.It is a $100 (If I remember correctly from a year ago) LEXMARK Z33.

I have printed about 10 pictures so far on KODAK "HEAVIER WEIGHT" SOFT GLOSS PICTURE PAPER.
My prints are amazing as far as I'm concerned and could not ask for more.

Will my pictures stay this way for a couple years or will they fade or "fall apart" sooner than this?
I was thinking of selling some prints but I'd like them to last without fading atleast a couple years.

Ps I asked this question in the printer forum a few days ago with no response that is why the post here.
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:54 AM   #2

Look carefully at replacement Archival or (photonic?) grade inks. Check the colors they produce though, they are slightly different to normal 'fading' inks.

It has always surprised me how many people are providing ink jet prints for important event photos like weddings, and not thinking of the life consequences. Personally for such important work, I'd consider real photo paper prints from store or on-line processors as well as a CD copy.

The memory is more important than saving a few cents on faded inkjet prints. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:29 PM   #3

I have an HP5550 which I bought to do photos with. I was running somewhere between $.50 and $.75 a print.

Then one day I saw that the lab at my grocery store was offering digital prints for only 18 cents. I haven't printed any of my photos on my home printer since. Also, the 5x7's are .89 and the 8x10s are 1.89, if I can find out how good a print will be at this size, I can have a 10x15 for only 4.99.

They are all printed on Fuji Crystal Arichieve paper, I have heard this is a very good paper. The images are a little on the soft side, which can be very good if you are printing a large image as you don't have to worry about jaggies (pixelation).

The lab is a Fuji Frontier Lab, I suggest to everyone that they find the cheapest one in their area. What I like to do is edit my images, download them to the CF card, and take the card to my grocery store/film lab. Once there, I plug the card into their computer's card reader, select the images I need printed, the quantity of each, and the size (only one size per order). I hand the reciept that the computer prints out to the clerk and tell them matte or gloss. The next morning I come in and they have my prints ready.

Just in case anyone here lives in southern Wisconsin or northern Illinois, the store's name is Woodman's Food Market. I believe they follow the Sam Walton philosophy, and because of that, we save a couple hundred dollars a month versus the Shnucks owned grocery stores in our area which right now seem more like K-Mart.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up,
Dan O.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 3:54 AM   #4

Melboz99.... Yes I'm up to speed on the Fuji Frontiers we've got over here. I've also managed to find an ICM colour match file on their website, so you can preview in Qimage, although there's not a great deal of correction.

Did you also know that these printers can take 6X41/2 paper? My UK service offers this option so I don't have to bother with cropping. Although, the prints don't fit the standard albums!. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 8:15 AM   #5

Hey Voxmagna, what prices are you getting over in the UK? BTW, I'm in the US.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 9:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melboz99
I hand the reciept that the computer prints out to the clerk and tell them matte or gloss. The next morning I come in and they have my prints ready.
Next day??? The local Walgreens also has one of those Fuji Frontier labs and when I go to print pictures there and hand the receipt to the clerk he normally tells me to wait for the pictures. And in a matter of 15 minutes or so the pictures are ready. If they take longer I just go around looking through the store but they always take less than one hour.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote