Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2007, 3:59 AM   #1

Hi all,

I currently use a Samsung Pro 815 and am going to Lapland in December where the average temperature is -12C and can drop to around -20C.

I hear phrases such as 'sensor freezing' which makes me nervous! Is there anything I should know? Any hints / tips?

Many thanks,

Andy
thephringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:56 AM   #2

I don't know about 'sensor freezing', but I do know that batteries don't work as well and lubricants get stiff in the cold.

I can't find the operating temperature for the Pro815 anywhere, but you might want to check with your manual or Samsung, to see if it will work. If the operating temperature only goes down to 0°C (32°F), then something in the camera is waterbased, and will freeze, so you shouldn't use your camera below that temperature. Water is one of those unique compounds that expands as it gets colder, and so repeadly freezing and thawing it will cause it to split in places. (That's how sidewalks crack, btw.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 8:04 AM   #3

I think "sensor freezing" is nonsense. I have heard of LCDs behaving strangely at low temperatures (forty below) but working just fine after they warmed up. I have heard of some specs that say LCDs are harmed by extreem cold, but that is something like the temperature nitrogen liquifies.

The two issues you are likely to encounter are condensation and lower battery life. Bringing along a spare battery will go a long ways toward that problem.

Condensation occurs when a cold object is brought into a warm, moist atmosphere, i.e., going from cold outdoors to warm indoors. The solution is to put your camera into a plastic bag BEFORE going inside. Then condensation will occur on the outside of the bag instead of on or in your camera. I like plastic grocery bags which have a long area over the camera that can be simply twisted shut. Zip-Lock bags are not needed and they can be hard to deal with when you have cold fingers.

Leave it in the bag until it has warmed up.

Do not keep your camera under your coat/shir/sweater and quickly whip it out, shoot, and put it back. That simply repeats cold-warm-cold-... thermal shocks and gives a chance for condensation each time it is moved to the warm area. Let your camera get cold and stay cold until you come inside.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:28 AM   #4

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Do not keep your camera under your coat/shir/sweater and quickly whip it out, shoot, and put it back. That simply repeats cold-warm-cold-... thermal shocks and gives a chance for condensation each time it is moved to the warm area. Let your camera get cold and stay cold until you come inside.
Solid objects do not change temperature instantaneously.

Removing your hand from your glove and then replacing it reduces the temperature of your hand, but it does not instantaneously freeze it solid. So, while I agree with everything else BillDrew has said, Ithinkthe technique of keeping your camera under one or two of the many layers of clothing you may be wearing is a viable one. But only for outside temperatures somewhat below freezing, not -20°C.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:56 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies. I've got the manual kicking around - I'll dig it out and check the min. operating temperature.

Thanks for the tips on condensation - I'll keep them in mind.

Andy
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:18 PM   #6

TCav wroteVery true. For me at least, it is also true that I do not take photos instaneously

TCav
wrote:
Quote:
... while I agree with everything else BillDrew has said, Ithinkthe technique of keeping your camera under one or two of the many layers of clothing you may be wearing is a viable one. But only for outside temperatures somewhat below freezing, not -20°C.
At temperatures that warm (about 0°F) it probably doesn't matter much which way you do it. Since it is easier to just keep the camera out ready to use, I much prefer that. The only time I duck my camera under my coat is when it is raining/snowing. And that is particularily dangerous to do when it is snowing since as TCav points out, the body does not cool instantaneously so the snow will melt and possibly run inside the camera. If the camera is cold, the snow can just be brushed off.

Andy: I will bet that your camera manual will specify 0°C/32°F as the low operating temperature. If you are not willing to take a chance with your camera below that temp, I'd suggest buying a cheap camera you are willing to risk. I think you would find a use for one of the shirt-pocket sized cameras as a compliment to your largish Samsung.

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 3:13 AM   #7

Thanks guys. I have a compact Fuji f650 and also a small 6MP waterproof camera (I suspect this will probably end up being my 'day' camera).

I only really want the samsung with me as I'm hoping we'll get to see the northern lights at some point during the week - if we do I'm willing to risk (I think!) popping outside the cabin with it for a short while.

Thanks again,

Andy
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:51 AM   #8

This should answer most of your general questions

http://www.shutterbug.net/techniques...rds/index.html

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote