Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:23 PM   #1

Default what ND filter

What nd filter would be the best to get as an all rounder? i take landscapes alot. ND2? thanks
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2003, 5:25 PM   #2

You shouldn't need one under normal circumstances unless you shoot on bright snow or sand dunes. In that case you'll get more use out of a polarizer as it will reduce glare when needed. It also does a good job of darkening sky while leaving clouds bright to make them stand out more.

If you use an ND filter the camera's meter will just override it anyway. You can shoot in manual or use the exposure compensation to reduce the exposure.

IMO the only need for ND in most cases is to get long shutter speeds in bright light to intentiionally get motion blur like for running water, etc. You might also use one to use larger apertures but that would only make a difference with an SLR/DSLR. If this is the case get a 4x at the very least. A 2x is only one stop worth so what's the point.

How do you like that A70? I'm thinking of one to replace the A10 I just handed down to my mom.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 5:37 PM   #3

i was thinking more for running water and such. (ND8?)
the A70 is really really good! id recommend it to anyone, although there is an A80 out now which is a 4mp version of the A70 with swivel lcd (like G series) and metal body.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 5:38 AM   #4

reply? ND8 for running water?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 6:12 PM   #5

I was wondernig what density to purchase as well. I also like to shoot waterfalls/moving water with a slow shutter speed, but in the open and it being daytime, they would be over exposed. Sometimes being in the shade helps but only if it is cloudy
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 6:20 PM   #6

Well I ordered up all 3 not knowing which to order. :P Unfortunately the store I ordered from was out of stock at the time, only shipping my lenses out to me.... but once the filters do come in stock they will ship them out to me at no shipping cost to me. I just hope its sometime soon!

I would agree with padeye in saying that more than likely the ND4 would be about the best single lens to go for I would think. Given most digital cameras shutter and apperture settings I think you would get the most out of this filter. I ordered the ND2 a while back and kinda regret doing so since I think I will end up finding it for the most part fairly useless.... but for the price I figured why not keep it on the list.

Once I get the filters I will take some comparitive shots with all three so give an idea of its effects on a pro-sumer camera like the c-750uz I have. 8)
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 4:26 AM   #7

thanks that would help if you could get some shots with all.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:22 PM   #8

I received an email last night saying the filters where on there way. With any luck I should have them tomorrow!
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:56 PM   #9
NHL

... The reason it's difficult for anyone to answer is @ what ISO?

The higher the ISO the higher the # for ND... Theoretically if you can reduce the camera, or film ISO to 25 or less then ND wouldn't be needed (with smaller aperture), right? :P :P :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote