Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:56 PM   #11

Default Thanks For The heads Up

Appriciate the help. I took your advise JimC and ordered the HP 120. Looks good for the $. Dick :lol:
flynez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:56 PM   #12
Administrator

You may want to look at this post too (I just made it). It's a similiar thread (a poster is trying to find inexpensive cameras for a kid's camp).

Someone else suggested the BenQ DC1300 (a 1.3MP camera which sells at Amazon for $68.00).

I took the best sample photo from BenQ's web site, and posted it, along with samples I found from HP Photosmart 120 users on Pbase.

IMO, the samples I found from HP 120 users, are MUCH better in quality than the manufacturers sample from the BenQ (which uses a 1.3MP CMOS sensor, compared to the HP's 1MP CCD Sensor). Of course, I found lots of bad photos too (but I wanted to use some of the better ones, since I was using the manufacturers best sample from the BenQ).

The HP Photosmart 120 is on sale for only $50.00 now at Amazon (delivered).

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5970477
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:58 PM   #13
Administrator

Default Re: Thanks For The heads Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynez
Appriciate the help. I took your advise JimC and ordered the HP 120. Looks good for the $. Dick :lol:
I must have been typing my last post, at the same time you were typing yours.

From what I'm seeing from other cheap cameras, the HP is vastly superior, and at 50 bucks, it's hard to go wrong. See my previous post for a forum thread link with comparison photos from another camera.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 9:05 PM   #14
Administrator

P.S. -- when you get the camera, I'd use Fine JPEG mode. There appears to be a significant difference in quality between the HP's JPEG modes, based on what I'm seeing from photos on Pbase.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better camera for $50.00 delivered, from what I've seen from other cheap cameras.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 9:17 PM   #15

I figure the cost of five rolls of film w/developing will pay for this camera. :lol: Also I think the instant feed back to our daughter about what works and what doesn't, with a digital camera, is very important too.Dick
Old Aug 29, 2003, 11:20 PM   #16

I purchased the HP120 for my daughter (she's 10) in July.
It is definitely better than the JamCam (I got one free when I purchased my scanner).
The only problem I find with the HP is that the LCD screen is pretty useless. It's really hard to see how well the pics turned out until they're loaded on the computer. I would also suggest picking up a compact flash card for the camera so that she can take more than 8 (High quality) pics at a time. It's best pictures are taken outside in good light. Inside shots are pretty grainy and the flash is very bright (covering it with one finger helps a bit).
The software that comes with the camera is very easy to use and does a surprisingly good job of cleaning up the pics.
The main problem that I find with the camera is that the lens is exposed with no cover. My daughter keeps hers in a soft camera case and we keep the bubble plastic that it came in wrapped around the camera when she is not using it so that the lens won't get scratched.

Anyway, I hope she enjoys the camera and here's a pic of our dog Tucker that I took with the HP120:

This one was taken with the flash

jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 9:13 PM   #17

Default Tucker

If all my daughter's photos come out as good as this one, I could not ask for more for the price.