Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:09 PM   #1

has anyone brought those camera packages off ebay and are they legit or a complete waste of time? IE: this one

Link

this looks like a pretty good deal and with currancy conversion and shipping cost's it only works out to be approx 750 nz dollars landed (at my door) into the country. which is quite cheap considering the exact same camera with just a 55mm lens works out to be around 800 dollars plus over here

just getting some views from others before i make the purchase

cheers
Lazy_B
Lazy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:20 PM   #2
Administrator

The extras included in those types of kits are junk. Don't be fooled by the prices they claim these items should sell for.

You've got a virtually worthless 1GB Secure Digital Card, cheap tripods that I wouldn't want to use, filters of questionable quality, a wide angle adapter lens that would probably degrade image quality significantly, etc. Shipping costs, import duties and taxes to your location would probably add up, too (and I don't know if Pentax would even honor the warranty in your country, as some manufacturers will refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in the country you live in).

I'd go with a standard camera kit without the extra junk from a reputable dealer, and buy higher quality memory cards, tripods, etc. as needs dictate.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:26 PM   #3

yeah thought so jim, i already have a top dollar tripod and a few pretty good cokin filters , so those would get sold without blinking a eyelid, the cleaning kit i could use though the bag?.. yeah already got a decent one so that would prolly be sold as well..... but i'm really just looking at the camera and 55mm lens to pretty much start me off, then get some more lens for it later on
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:35 PM   #4

I don't know anything about the seller, but I would be real cautious about dealing withanyone who sells:

** that three filters (which provide some unstated function) are worth $99 without
saying what brand they are.

** has a "High resolution wide angle lens" for a dSLR and doesn't state the focal
length (Might be better than the bottom of an old Coke bottle)

** I'd bet they are right about that the tripod "collapses in seconds", but I'd hope
that it happened without my camera on it.

Given the high rating the seller has, I'd bet on you getting what they have listed. I'd
also bet what you are going to get is the camera, lens, and a bucket of junk. As Jim
said, with taxes, shipping, import duty,... It doesn't seem likey you will save much.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:35 PM   #5
Administrator

I don't know how picky NZ is on import taxes and duties.

So, I'd look into that before ordering from outside of your country (they may intercept the package and tack on a lot of extra money for you to get it). I'd also check with Pentax to see if they'd even service a camera you bought from another country (some manufacturers are pretty picky about that).

There are dealers in the U.S. that sell that camera kit (K100D plus 18-55mm kit lens) for around $450 delivered. Beach is one example:

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...ku=PKK100D1855

But, they don't accept international orders. I know http://www.bhphotovideo.com ships internationally. But, they're a little higher and it looks like they're sold out of this kit right this minute. Again, import duties and taxes may end up costing you more, depending on NZ law.

17th Street Photo's reputation is OK, and it looks like they've got them in stock at $449, and I think they ship internationally. So, if the NZ import taxes and duties are not prohibitive, and if Pentax would service it there (and I'd check to find out), you may want to look into them:

http://www.17photo.com/product.asp?id=19018

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:50 PM   #6

NZ import duties from customs usually get stung for anything over 500 (NZ) dollars, i have imported a lot of rc parts in the past and they have usually got through with no hassles at all guys, Jim i've looked at B&H and they were my 2nd option for getting a camera, anyways got to dash guys.. doing a paid photography shoot for a classic car mag and it's a 1960 caddy, overcast day here so being a white car it should turn out pretty darn good (hopefully)

thanks for all your help

cheers
Lazy
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:46 PM   #7

all the extras are junk. its just an over inflated package to catch the less than smart

id never spend that much on a camera off ebay.......id buy local and have somewhere to take it back to if it goes wrong

same old advice.........if it seems too good to be true .......it is

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 5:42 AM   #8

Hi, All.

I would like to share my painful Ebay experience with all and I hope it would be helpful to others to note how things can gowrong. I would also ask for you advice so that I can avoid costly mistakes in future.

I bought 2 cameras, spending just about $1000. On Nov 4, I bought a Sanyo HD700 from X1387, an Ebay seller, after reading Caelum's great review

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=27&page=1

and all the other posters' review and comments on another thread. Thank you. I thought it was a good price and X1387had tens of thousands of transactions/ratingsbefore and soI thought it should be fine, even though the seller had a 97% postive rating. It arrived after 5 days from Hong Kong in a tightly sealed FedEx bag. The Condition of the item was described as "New, Never Opened"on Ebay, but I found inside the sealed FedEx bag, a box with the manufacturer's seal on the boxbroken. The seal said, [glow=red]"DO NOT ACCEPT IF SEAL IS BROKEN"[/glow]. I understand it is supposed to protect consumers from goods that are returned, used, demo'ed or otherwise less than new or completely QA'ed.

For the next 10 days, I struggled to contact seller, who only repliedin 1 to 3 days, and only answer questions selectively. I explained everything, many times, and was told that I had to return the camera for inspection and they could give a refund or exchange. I was told I had to pay for the return shipping. I gave them the serial number requested and again waited a couple of days for the returning instructions, and that is to return it to a US address (more expensive for methan to Hong Kong), but I do not know what the process for inspection is or how theyinvestigate from US, and they are not telling no matter how many times I asked. I was trying to see if it is worth my spending more money to send it back, and whether I would be treated fairly if I do, as I try to get some assurance about the inspection. I have no idea how long it might take, who is the judge, what are they goingto check. I had thought it would be easier to check how a box with a broken seal got sent from Hong Kong by checking with their Hong Kong agent and FedEx records, and I suggested that but like many times, there was no reply or response to some of my questions or comments.

To cut a long story short, the more I tried the more frustrated I became as replies are slow, brief and not answering my critical questions. It is an awful experiencebecause I did nothing wrong. I paid promptly and I believed the seller and thought I would get a brand new camera in a "Never Opened" box. I simply did notknow what to do, whether to trust the seller and put myself at their mercy, by sending the camera back. I enquired with Ebay using their online help, and was told repeatedly that Ebay does not intervene and mainly suggested that I try contacting seller and negotiating. By that time, I lost faith in the seller's inspection process and did not want to throw more money into this, due to the response and the indifference that I think I got from the seller. I lose confidence in the process and the outcome of their inspection due to theway I have been "helped". I went to the Paypal Resolution Center and rasied a Dispute and told the seller that I would be escalating and warned that I would be taking action to get proper attention after 24 hours. Still, no reply. PayPal made it clear that they were only facilitating the communication with seller with a Dispute. I just escalated the Dispute to a PayPal Claim, to see if something would happen. So far, I feel I have not yet got as much support and help as I was led to believe by the assurance I had seen on Ebay and PayPal's pages.

I hope this may be useful info for anyone who are making decisions on sellers or planning to get something quickly (and not allowing for very long resolution time even if successful), or thinking that you would be protected (but you still pay for returning any wrong or improper item sent to you, which is the policy of most sellers). Also, right or wrong, the resolution process is not guaranteed to help you, if the seller is the one who is investigating initially. There is simply no guarantee at all that a prompt process is there. So, if there is any issue and you need a camera to go on a holiday, be prepared to buy another one. I would recommend going for the highest seller rating, with a fair amount of transactions. I thinkI will only buy from a 99% good seller in future, even if it is going to cost another $25 dollars, or more depending on the price of course. I think that should be good insurance to avoid a really rotten experience or less chance of things going terribly wrong.

I also bought another camera, the FinePix F30, from another seller on Nov 6. After 6 days, nothing happened. The seller when contacted, told me the shipping was delayed due to an investigation about my address not being what it is registered on PayPal. I thought it was funny that I was not told by anyone while I waited. There was no problem with my address. I then gave my address again, the same one as registered all the time with PayPal and Ebay, and also provide PayPal transaction ID etc to prove I paid for the camera, and then I waited and I wrote and I waited, but I did not hear from the seller after his first reply. Finally after 8 days, Iraised a PayPal Dispute, and only then did I get a reply from seller saying he would ship the next day. Now, that "next day" has past, I am still waiting to receive an advice confirming the shipping andthe EMS tracking info, which were mentioned in the Ebay item description under the section about shipping. I will wait a day or two before jumping into any conclusion and writing about this case.

I have bought many other items previously with no problem whatsoever, but it seems with these expensive purchases, it pays to be really careful. I would welcome any comments, suggestions and advice.

Thanks.
Grandmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 6:51 AM   #9

Just to add somemore infoabout my painful experience buying from Ebay seller X1387.

I think it is reasonable to expect to return something to the original placewhere it came from, and not to a much farther place and having to pay more. On Ebay, you normally just see where item is shipped from, but not where you might have to return it to. In my case, Hong is a lot closer than US and I had not expected to return something, and even if so I would have thought it would cost me about the same as the original shipping cost for the item.

I asked X1387 whether I would be re-imbursed for the cost of shipping the item back to them, if their investigation shows that I have done nothing wrong and that I did receive a box that has been opened, i.e. it's their fault. I was told in their email and I quote

[glow=red]"Return shipping cost is responsible by buyers no matter the item is defective or not."[/glow]

Is that fair?:? I think it really means that - even if they had sent me defective goods, I will still have to pay to return the item for exchange or refund.

I also asked whether the inspection is just to check that everything is still in the box and fully returned, or to check the seal (Iam sssuming it is possible to forensically check the date of when it was broken, or to find one of their Hong Kong guys' fingerprint on the camera...).There wasno answer to that. I asked other questions about the process to try to see if I may be getting a fair treatment by sending it back, but did not get answers.

As mentioned, what happened made me so uncomfortable with their whole return process and customer service. I can't say that it would happen, but Iwas afraid that the inspection may take a long time, there may bemore surprises (since I was not told anything about the process), that eventuallyI may still not get a refund or exchange after their inspection. So,instead of shipping it back, I decided to escalate in PayPal rather than trusting X1387 again and spending more money in shipping and risking more frustration. In short, I feel I have to trust the seller every step of the way, in delivery what was promised, in having a fair process to inspect/investigate, in getting back to me the result of investigation in a timely way, in a fair decision... I thought I trusted enough already, and given the lack of info, the lack of response, answers and care, I decided that the odds may not be so good to take any chances with the outcome, and that I should not trust this seller again. So I did not spend more money sending it back. Did I do the right thing?

I would be disgusted every time I look at the camera though, and especially if it has some issues. Maybe I should sell it on Ebay?

:sad::sad::sad:

Grandmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:32 PM   #10

if u send it back it will probably get "lost" then u have no camera and are out of pocket

a good reason for not buying expensive things from abroad !!!!!

by the way 97% possitive with all them feedbacks is very poor........its not just 3% but 30 bad per 1000 transactions......and how many will have not left negative for fear of recieving negative back.

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote