Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2003, 4:50 PM   #11
lg

You're probably not going to make your budget, but here's my suggestion:

Find a used Olympus E-100RS and a FL-40 flash with bracket and flash cord. I would also recommend a B300 or TCON 1.7 teleconverter, which will give you 17x optical zoom at F3.5. The camera will take up to 15fps, and has a 10x stabilized zoom. For taking pictures through the glass, remove the bracket from the camera and place the flash up to the glass, eliminating the reflection. Low light is a real challenge for sports photography, but I've been able to achieve acceptable results with my camera, which has the same lens and a slightly higher MP rating. The only gotcha here is the E-100RS is a 1.5MP camera, but it's fine for 4x6 to 5x7 prints. If anyone else has suggestions on the topic, I'd love to hear them.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:46 PM   #12

So far i love my Olympus E100RS its the best for sports action shots for the price i guess. ive had mine almost 2 years. Its hard to find one that takes indoor shots for action. Unless you have great lighting , ive taken basketball pics indoors in the gyms, mostly not good pics unless you have good lights , which i have had some.
Never took hockey, if you have great light it would work but i know a guy that has one, he must not have good light or cant get a good pic with it. He tried other s , it s just the lighting in there stinks ! Good luck!

Here are some action shots from last year, i have a lot of new ones i dont have up but these are good , baseball, softball, racing,shap shots, football, ect.
www.pbase.com/wvyankeegurl
www.pbase.com/yankees22

I would like a Nikon D1x though, but im just a rooky need more ex.
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 7:13 AM   #13

Looks like the Oly c740 or 750 is not the right choice. Enticed by the 10X zoom but I think won't be good for the action shots I'm interested in.

E100 looks great but looks to be out of my price range at well over $1K. Question.... The pics looked great but at 1.5mp how do they look at 8X10? I also want decent resolution at that size.

I'm leaning more toward the Fuji s602. The more I read the better it looks. There are limitations but the manual control is appealing. Thinking I can get it to do what I want and need. Users seem real happy with the camera too. I'm also reading up on the Fuji s5000 due out next month. Should I wait, are the manual controls worth it? Will it do what I need? Always more questions.

I gotta say this forum is great. Thanks all to your responses.

Scott.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 12:33 PM   #14
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba
E100 looks great but looks to be out of my price range at well over $1K.
Check eBay for prices... last ones I saw went for 500-600 USD.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote