Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 28, 2003, 8:16 AM   #1

Default Camera Selection for Sports Photography

Hi All,

I've been trying to decide on a digital camera to shoot action shots of my son playing hockey. I'm looking for something with 6X + Optical Zoom and decent in low light situations because I would like to shoot through the glass and the Flash reflects to blind the shot. I tried the Coolpix 4300 but the 3X zoom didn't get me close enough that's why I'm thinking at least 6X Optical. I'm somewhat concerned about the EVF and focus time with the higher zoom cameras. Also curious about whether image stablization is a must or not.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scott.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2003, 9:49 AM   #2

What is your budget? Personally, I recommend the Canon EOS 10D. But, that's $1500US plus lenses and accessories.

:twisted:

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the response OZ,

I was hoping for $400-500, thinking Olympus c740 or 750, Panasonic FZ1, Toshiba PDR-M500, or even a Coolpix 4300 w/ add-on 2X Telephoto?

Do you think any of these would work or should I be concerned about the EVF and response time? By the time it focuses and ready to shoot the action is past?

Also wondered if I went with higher megapixel camera, good with low light conditions, zoom in 3X or so to get the shot then zoom and crop after pn my PC. I tried that with the Coolpix 4300 with limited sucess.

Thanks again for your response.

Scott.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:54 PM   #4

To be candid, most consumer digital cameras have an unacceptable shutter lag which doesn't make them good for sports. If you use manual focusing, and manual exposure setting, then the lag isn't so bad, but still not the best for fast action sports.

There is a method where you half press the shutter button to prefocus and set exposure, but there's still a slight delay after you press the shutter button.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:21 AM   #5

Mamba,

I agree with Mike completely here, and I'm agreeing based on personal experience. P&S cameras such as the ones you listed will be terribly hard to work with. As an example, here's a photo I took last month at a local track event:

copy & paste in another browser for full view

The shot above was taken using an Olympus C-4000. I used the half-press shutter method, and this is the end result. The problem with the shot above is that, because I prefocused without the car in the frame, the camera metered just for the scene. I had to do a contrast mask in Photoshop to increase the brightness of the lower-half of the car. Along with that, the headlights were completely blown out. The manual focus capabilities (or lack thereof) of the C4000 played a major factor as well. I didn't bother using it because using it is very cumbersome and awkward. You'll have the same problem with the Olympus C740 & C750, Toshiba PDR, and the Coolpix 4300.

Another problem is focal length. The above photo was taken using full optical zoom (which is 96mm). My distance from the subject was roughly 100 feet or less. If you want a cropped photo of your son playing hockey (ie. the hockey card look), you'll need something with a big zoom. Of course, the C740/C750 takes top honours, but personally I really don't know how much of a focal length you'll need to get that type of shot (probably 300mm). Another thing too, since you don't want to use the flash, a camera that can go up to ISO 800 or more is recommended. A lot of the hockey photos I've seen on the web are taken with more than ISO 400. I believe we even have a member here that uses a Canon 1D for hockey photography.

If you want to be serious about getting that "ideal photo", maybe the Canon 300D Rebel w/ 75-300mm USM lens would fit your needs.

Regards,

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:41 AM   #6

Check out this new camera from Kodak. 4 megapixel, so you can crop and 10x optical zoom.
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 11:02 AM   #7

The Kodak still has the same problem as the others mentioned above. For *serious* sports shooting, you have to look for a better camera like a dSLR.

You should take a look at all the past conversations on this, use the search feature here to look for words like LAG and SPORTS, and see what's been written in the past.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 12:35 PM   #8

Fuji makes some pretty up tempo cameras, the S602 might be a cheap alternative. (though I cannot say how this compares to Dslr)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 4:26 PM   #9

Hi Oz,

Your pic of the car and what you had to do to get the shot illustrates the problem. I was hoping to avoid that kind of estimation and setup. Will a super zoom with manual control make this a simpler process?

Scott.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 4:36 PM   #10

Mike, I noticed that Kodak as well. Looks like it has manual control, question is whether it'll do what I need. I think its not available till Sept.

Mike, thanks for the advice, I'll search off sports and lag and see what I come up with. I've been reading alot of past posts the past few days and that's what has prompted some of my questions.

Problem with Dig Cameras is you don't know for sure until you get the camera. I've purchased a couple of them and was able to return them at Circuit City but most charge a re-stock charge to return. Staples is the only other with a liberal return policy. Either or will get my business when I'm ready to buy. I feel I owe it to them.

Thanks to all for your responses on this. It's helping.

Scott.