Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:23 AM   #1

[glow=red]DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER[/glow]

I have posted my recent sad experience in buying on Ebay. I think you should read it as it can save you heaps if you buy expensive things like cameras on Ebay. I am still learning more each day about how to buy safely.

For example - What does a seller with thousands of transactions really mean to you (Not what you might think, as I will show you the mathematics of how the rating system works or not works.)

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...822480#p822480

Hope the info is useful.

Grandmelody
Grandmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:40 PM   #2

Advice for safety-

Avoid buying from Ebay sellers with more than 10,000 transactions. If you have to buy anything expensive from them, they should have perfect or near perfect buyer satisfaction ratings, e.g. go for 99.7% or better. It is worth paying another 5% more to go with another seller IMO. The headache if you should have a problem would be worth this insurance.

Also avoidthose with less than 20 transactions whatever their feedback ratings are, even 100% positive, for obvious reasons unless insignificant amounts are involved.. Don't buy anything expensive if you can find another source.

See my other post for reasons.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 8:38 PM   #3

I have 2 cases for those interested in why Ebay buying may be risky. Both are described in the link provided. The first one has just been closed.

The second case is starting to get interesting. Another "New, Never Opened" item, another camera that is looking suspicious. Another PayPal Dispute.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...jump_to=824406

Hope this is helpful to you.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:01 PM   #4

Something to consider in the sellers defense. When selling equipment, the options to choose from to describe the item are "new, never opened", "refurbished", and "used". I agree, the seller should disclose the item as open box. However, ebay doesn't provide a description for open box, and the seller probably choose the closest description to the item, which would be new.

I'm sorry you've had such issues, but i still believe your experiences are the exception. There are alot of crooks and scams out there that people have to be careful of on ebay...fake designer jeans, fake memory cards, etc. Doing basic research and knowing what to look for will prevent most problems. I've used ebay (both bought and sold) and you've had more problems in a month than I've had in 8 years.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 3:09 AM   #5

Thanks. rjseeney. I never had problems until those 2 cameras. All previous purchases were for much smaller amounts.

There is definitely a need for Ebay to review this "New, Never Opened" description. Maybe there should be more exact descriptions to choose from than lumping them together and forcing the seller to choose the closest one. Ebay should also have a better Seller Rating system than just a simple percentage. Maybe it should weighted, so that an expensive item costing hundreds of dollars should count more when there is a positive/negative feedback. Or, there shouldclassifications, sothatratings are for ranges of goods or something based on value or typesof items.It could be misleading if someone sells a large number of $10 items and get many good feedback, but also sell expensive items.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 4:40 AM   #6

After i first started that thread about ebay, never thought it would turn into like it had done.. ....... So I actually googled the seller..(which actually gave me a shop in NY)and spoke to them direct and the response was pretty darn good actually. they told me (via a email) that when i do actually purchase one of those kits that they will send it A.S.A.P and email me the tracking number so i can moniter it personally. . Also they offered me a full 12 month warranty on the products when i am ready to purchase...... Buying straight from the shop also helps because i've pretty much eliminated the middle man which is ebay it's self. So technically i won't be buying from ebay as originally planned, But i will still be buying from america, Just makes it a lot easier and re-assuring that i will be dealing with the seller directly and not threw a online auction as most of us do. So buying from ebay isn't that much of a problem.... you just have to do a bit more research on the seller rather than the product they are offering

hope this helps in the future

Grant
Lazy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 6:43 AM   #7

Thanks, Lazy_B. You are right. I should have done a lot more research about the sellers beforehand, by searching user forums like this and the Internet. I have learnt so much.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:22 AM   #8

Your experiance is probably not CLOSE to the worst. I've been looking at ebay camera auctions and one thing to watch is the seller who says he knows little about cameras or didn't have batteries..or it was good 5 years ago.....in short he is NOT saying it is usable. If it's a low $ item and he says it's cosmetically okay...that does not say the metering is good or the shutter works...or much of anything does. If you got a Spotmatic for $30..but it needs $75 repairs.....no bargain. However....if the seller has NOT said This or that works or "excellent working condition or some other specific...you can only expect what IS described. Anything more may be your luck.

There's a BIG scam....SVP cameras. These are hyped as having this and that....but they have single aperture..no focusing..no optical zoom. They may CLAIM 12 Megapixel (inerpolated) but that's a 5 megapixel...and probably a damn poor one. Quality control? About right for a chinese "disposable" that costs $20.....except these sellers ( some using multiple "identities") Promote this junk as worth $100 and up.

Shipping for a small camera....$25-$30. Refund..sure...you pay return shipping and a $30 restock. If you bail out after winning...you pay $30 and they threaten a collection agency. If you give negative feedback..they give YOU negative feedback as a buyer---then demand you "mutually withdraw" the rating. These crooks may sell under several names..may pad their "positive feedback" with hundreds of fakes....and ebay looks the other way..does not even seem to have a way you can question these scams unless you are a VICTIM first..in which case you get a few words to state your beef.

There's also a thing sold as a Kam Wah brand...looking like the 10-12x type full body camera...but there is no optical zoom..its another phoney 12 mp...and like the typical SVP...no focus..single aperture....the digital version of a plastic $5 box camera. These sellers can just about break even on just the shipping overcharge. If you Return for Refund....that $30 restock fee is all profit..and you are out as much as $50 for round trip shipping + $30 "restock"

I found 7 or 8 dealers of SVP stuff...and ALL use the same graphics the same poor grammar and decietful claims + specs. They all pump up the shipping chargwe...all charge the same $30 for restock of returned junk...even make the same threats. All have a LOT of bad feedback and hundreds of "mutually withdrawn" negatives

beware.
rerem is offline   Reply With Quote