Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2003, 2:48 PM   #1

Default Your ideal camera ?

Hey all I was just wondering what all your ideal cameras would be and how much you'd pay for it?

I won't go to far fetched as I'm sure some of you might.My camera would be an Olympus "C-770".
It would be a 7 megapixel camera with a 15x optical zoom and a stabilized lense....I'd pay about $1500 for it I suppose.
Not to far fetched right ?
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2003, 3:49 PM   #2

You forgot the autofocus assist beam, but then Olympus forgets about it too!!! Come on Olympus, if even cheap Canons have it, and the new Fuji 10x has it, why can't you idiots do it? If you don't get your act together and put one on the C-7x0 series by the time I'm ready to buy a new camera, I *will* look to other brands! You're losing customers!

(Sorry, I have to let Olympus have it once in a while!)
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 3:55 PM   #3

Where do I start? Well, off the top of my head here is the 'realistic' camera I'd like to have:

- 5 to 6 MP as I rarely need a print over 11x14 and until a decent (and affordable) monitor that can display over 2500x1900 then the above MP is more than enough.
- 24mm to 600mm (20x)
- fully manual and auto settings (for my lazy days )
- the ability to shoot RAW frames as fast as I want without any buffer delays
- long battery life eg: 8+ hours for normal use
- nightshot, not nessesary but, cool

I probably missed a few things ...

-=-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 4:15 PM   #4

probably 20megapixel.. fast.... 6pic/s or higher.. true 48bit color (16bit/channel)... waterproof...very high dynamic range so the colors wont be blown out..

something like that.. at the price of the D10
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 4:59 PM   #5

Default Re: Your ideal camera ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickShooter
Hey all I was just wondering what all your ideal cameras would be and how much you'd pay for it?

I won't go to far fetched as I'm sure some of you might.My camera would be an Olympus "C-770".
It would be a 7 megapixel camera with a 15x optical zoom and a stabilized lense....I'd pay about $1500 for it I suppose.
Not to far fetched right ?
I will have to follow on slickShooter's theme here:

EDITED: to add new features I forgot about

A newer model in the Olympus UZ series but with the following:
-6 or 7 Mpixel sensor
-Also instead of a 38mm wide angle starting range give us at least 35mm, possibly even 28mm.
-at least the current models 10x zoom but a 14-16x with stablization would be killer. 15x zoom with a 28mm wide angle would offer 28mm-420mm zoom range! At 420mm I would like but its not totally nessesary to have the zoom stablizer.
-an aperture range like the C5050's F1.8-F10
-sightly larger lcd on the back of the camera compared to the 740/750's 1.5". Perhaps a 1.8" or 2" lcd.
-RAW MODE!...cause tiffs are still to huge. Being able to only hold 48 of them on a 512mb xD card is harsh with a 750uz... a 6 or 7Mpixel version would decrease that number greatly!
-Low light auto focus assist lamp that can be turned on and off.
-Increased buffher size to allow 3-5 shots at full resolution to be taken withing about 3 seconds minimum.
-larger expossure range of say 1/2000sec to 30seconds instead of 1/1000 to 16seconds of the current 750uz.

added:
-ability to shoot 640x480 30f/s video till the card is full like some of Fugi's cameras
and as lg said,
-higher useable iso settings like 800 (or even higher) without any noise or extremely low like a dslr camera.
-Like what is said below a few times: ZERO SHUTTER LAG!
-the ability to use the remote from any angle or at least have a sensor on both the front and back of the camera.

Other than that, im fine with the battery life, body design and style, support for only xD cards (although adding compact flash or something else like SD would be nice), the hotshoe is fine. As for what I would pay..... Well around $1000 plus or minus say 10% wouldn't be all that unreasonable. :P
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 5:34 PM   #6
lg

Pretty much what tkmckay said, plus:

- larger LCD 2 - 2.5" for older eyes...
- faster lens (f1.4) and greater aperture range (F22)
- zero shutter lag
- useable ISO up to 1600 (with very little noise)
- greater range of saturation adjustments
- remote with zero shutter lag (not 2 sec pause)... also one that works from anywhere, not just in front of the camera (RC?)
- EVF that switches to nightvision in total darkness, autofocus having same capability (well, you did ask!)

Would pay up to $1500.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:01 PM   #7

I go for LG camera but the uP model has
- normal sized but fast lcd screen (less drain battery power)
- 10x optical zoom with IS
- noiseless upto ISO 1600
- usable ISO 3200
- sturdy case, small size
- light weight
- a dial for all manual, or everything auto
- No EVF, but an optical loop on top of the case (works miracles in dark)
- super macro detail at 5 cm distance
- hardly any barrel/pincushion distortion
- tripod mount that does not block battery/ memory card compartments
- 8 mP pixels
- External microphone plug
- usb 2 or better firewire connect to computer
- Again we cannot substress this enough, No shutter delay

I don't know what I would pay for this camera. At the time such cameras are possible, price will have dropped more. lets say 500 euros in 2006?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:33 PM   #8
ir

I can't resist. I recently bought a Canon A70, and I did a lot of research. I noticed that it's hard to find all of the best features in one camera. Here goes (I'm thinking of a consumer or prosumer, not a dSLR, for cost reasons):

- Min 3x zoom, but 4x - 6x would be great.
- AF ASSIST LAMP, with good range!!! Why, why, why do so few cameras have this. When you're partying with friends, the most interesting stuff happens in the dark... Just put an AF assist on, period.
- Burst mode, at least 2.5 fps, but more is better as long the cam can keep it up for 4 or 5 seconds before slowing down to write to memory. And with no resolution restrictions.
- VGA video, with sound, 20fps or more (15fps will do, but barely), preferably with no time limit. C'mon, this is just a fun feature, as long the cam still takes quality pics.
- AA batteries. Layoff the proprietary battery packs! NiMH keeps getting better, and we want to take advantage of that, not to mention price.
- No proprietary memory card types (do you hear me Sony - never mind trying to Sonyize the world by integrating all your products with proprietary technology). We want flexibility.
- Now, the MP thing. At least 3.2, but how about a range of models with 3-6 MPs or something.
- Creative zone and manual control. Face it, Auto just doesn't cut it most of the time.
- A good flash, with lots of range and abitlity to throttle down as required. A hot shoe is always nice. (I say this, but I hate using a flash).
- Accurate, crisp, quick autofocus. I want to know it's right on. Sometimes I wonder about Canon's autofocus.
- A manual focus, preferable via twist ring. The A70 manual focus is nearly unusable if the subject might move in any way - takes forever.
- Come to think of it, a manual zoom would be nice, but this seems non-existent on p and s cams.
- Bright LCD, or maybe one with an adjustable brightness for sunny days.
- Great battery life (the A70 does great here - well over 200 pics with LCD in constant use!)
- Good wide angle. 28mm would be nice, but any improvement over 35mm would get noticed.
- QUALITY BUILD. Take note Canon, 'cause the A70 is a little shaky in this area (I'm on my second one).
- Available underwater casing. Not sure how many people buy these, but it's nice to know you can (I might).
- Add on lenses?? If the wide angle goes to 28mm, and the zoom is in the 5x range, this is not so important.
- For 4 and 5 MP cams, offer more resolution options. Don't go from 5MP to 2MP with nothing in between. We may have to manage memory space vs quality sometimes.
- Accurate viewfinder. Over 90% coverage, at least. As long as we're dreaming, how about 100%.
- RAW format available, with JPEG option.
- Compact, but not tiny. I like a camera that fits in my hand, and has enough weight so that its inertia helps reduce camera shake. The A70 is pretty good in this regard. If you can cram all this stuff in, I'll accept a little bigger size.
- The usual flexibility--metering options, AF options, different compressions for JPEG, exposure compensation, white balance options, some effects (vivid, soft, etc), manual ISO settings, and so on.
- Good macro mode.
- Self timer. Better yet, a remote control.
- Reasonably priced (under $700 CDN for 4MP model). Asking too much? Well, if any manufacturers a listening, if you can make a cam with all this I might be tempted even if it's a little pricey.

OK, I better stop. I guess I've been waiting for someone to ask the question. Thanks!

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:35 PM   #9

Basically, if the Canon 10D had a full-frame CCD, it would be perfect. I wonder if there's going to such a camera (probably called a 10Ds) any time soon. I want to get a dSLR, but I'm not going to do it until there's a full-frame one that isn't so expensive.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:36 PM   #10
ir

OK, I'll edit this double post down to...this.

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote