Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2002, 5:01 PM   #1

Default Why are computer monitors locked in at 72dpi?

Why is it whenever I view a photo I've taken on my computer monitor, its locked in as 72 dots-per-inch image?

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT PRINTER OUTPUT!!! I know how to change that... I'm talking about the image input, outputted to my computer monitor

Is there a way to change images to 144dpi or even 288dpi so the image has a tighter resolution on my computer monitor??

I use Windows 2000 Pro, Adobde PhotoDeluxe Home v4.0 and Microsoft Photo Editor.
kelley burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2002, 6:11 PM   #2

You mean it opens at that resolution, regardless of the application or only in PS?

That sort of setting should be defined by the application itself and isn't a global OS setting as far as I know.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 7:19 PM   #3

Internet resolves images and also monitor to strictly 72, or sometimes 90 on a mac.... I'ts about how many printer dpi ( dots/inch) verses camera which is ppi (pixtls/inch)....

Monitor is great for color view and crop, if properly calibrated to your camera and printer!

To see what your camera/pictures are doing easily, use Qimage for printing, viewing, and reducing. It will show you the resolution the printer driver sets the print at depending on the what information the printer driver rec's for the size of the print you select! No, I don't know or have any affiliation with QIP.
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:37 PM   #4

I don't think it is 72 dpi. For sure, it isn't locked at that.

You can change your monitor to show various "pixel sizes", e.g.,
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
etc.

Since the physical size of your monitor does not change when you change the "pixel size", the dpi must change.

Just go to the control pannel, double-click on the display, and pick whatever resolution you want that works with your set-up. Just don't push it to far in one go - at some resolution everything can become to small to be workable.

The 72 dpi that comes out of the camera is simply a default: there has to be some value, and that value is completely irrelevant to the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 5:52 AM   #5

Default 72 dpi Monitors

Your right, Monitor are made to the 72 dpi standard.

The cost/performace balance means it's likely to stay that way.
ashenfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 4:57 AM   #6

If you check the spec for your monitor, you should be able to work out the dots per inch. Eg a typical 15inch (diagonal )monitor will have a viisble width of approximately 11" and a horizontal resolution of 800 dots. So dividing 800 by 11 gives you approx 72 dpi. These are the actual physical dots on the screen which cannot be changed. No matter what you do with your settings in windows or imaging software, you cannot improve upon this. You can buy higher res monitors e.g a good quality 15" will have 1024 horizontal resolution which will give you around 90 dpi.
Geoff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 8:03 AM   #7

There is a maximum resolution for any monitor, but it is pure coincidence if that happens to be 72 dpi. And even if that is the maximum for a particular monitor, it can be set to a lower value.

72 dpi has no fundemental meaning for monitors. I think it would be difficult to find a monitor that was set to exactly 72 dpi. In Geoff T's example, it works out to 72.72.... dpi, and that will depend on the exact viewable size of the monitor. A typical 15" monitor will have a viewable horizontal width of about 10.25" or about 78 dpi.

72 dpi has no more inherent meaning for monitors than it has for digicams.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote