Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 25, 2007, 1:03 PM   #1

Hi,

I just bought a Casio digicam and love it. It's only about $300, but I worry about something happening to it.

Has anyone heard of Mack? I really want accident insurance and loss along with defects. I bought it from B&H, but the company they use won't insure in Florida.

Thanks.
lyonsden10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 3:16 PM   #2

Generally I would say to forego insurance on a less expensive p&s digicam. These cameras update quickly and do not hold value well, so they are generally not worth repairing should something happen to them. You could also replace one fairly inexpensively in the used market a few years down the road should the need arise. More likely, you'll spend the same $300 on a new camera which will be much nicer than your current camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:49 PM   #3

That's just what my husband said. Thank you for your advice.
lyonsden10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:43 AM   #4

In most cases, if something happens to your digicam that isn't covered by your manufacturer's warranty, your homeowners or renters insurance or your auto insurance will cover it. You can check with your insurance agent(s) to confirm this.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:13 AM   #5

Quote:
In most cases, if something happens to your digicam that isn't covered by your manufacturer's warranty, your homeowners or renters insurance or your auto insurance will cover it. You can check with your insurance agent(s) to confirm this.
This isn't a given. Usually this would require a special rider, especially in terms of accidental damage. If it were damaged during a fire or accident or stolen, yes the camera would likely be covered, providing you could provide proof of ownership and value. For drops or defects, your regular policies aren't going to work, and probably wouldn't be worth making the claim, unless you have a low deductable....making a claim on a $300 camera if your deductable is $500 is pretty much a waste of time.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:37 AM   #6

If someone breaks into your car to steal your camera, your car insurance will cover the cost to repair the car and replace the camera.

If you happen to leave your car open, and someone reaches into your car to steal your camera, your car insurance will cover the cost to replace the camera.

Many car insurance policies also cover personal posessions that you may have been carrying after having used the insured vehicle to get to a destination.

And the deductible may only apply to the expense of repairing the vehicle, not repairing or replacing its contents. It depends on the policy. (A good reason to have insurance through an agent, and to use that agent for all types of insurance.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:24 AM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
If someone breaks into your car to steal your camera, your car insurance will cover the cost to repair the car and replace the camera.

If you happen to leave your car open, and someone reaches into your car to steal your camera, your car insurance will cover the cost to replace the camera.

Many car insurance policies also cover personal posessions that you may have been carrying after having used the insured vehicle to get to a destination.

And the deductible may only apply to the expense of repairing the vehicle, not repairing or replacing its contents. It depends on the policy. (A good reason to have insurance through an agent, and to use that agent for all types of insurance.)
This is correct, but obviously will not be any help should any other form of damage result that wasn't related to the vehicle, which in my opinion, is more likely to happen, and the reason I wouldn't count on auto or homeowners insurance to be my sole protection in case something were to happen to my equipment. A dedicated rider is your best best (as you said, talk to your agent), but for a $300 digicam its probably not worth the effort (or the cost) to protect it.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:22 PM   #8

TCav wrote:
Quote:

That's not always true, and I think it may rarely be true. When my car was broken into, Progressive told me they wouldn't cover belongins that didn't belong in the car, thus personal items were not covered, not even tools. An additional rider may cover the belongings, but not the standard policy.

I did call my renters insurance agent, and they said they'd cover my lost belongings, even CD's if any were stolen.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:37 PM   #9

Insurance is for those items that youCANNOT afford to replace such as a home or car. To start turning in minor claims like for a CD or camera is not what polilcies are about. Once you start claiming items like that your rates go up or you lose discounts. You can save more money in the long run by having high deductibles and turning in fewer claims.

I had a friend who bought the extended warranty on his car. It was hundreds of dollars. When he finally needed it they pointed out the exclusions. He was not a happy camper.

Don't play the insurance game. You will almost always lose.
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote