Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:54 AM   #1

Earlier this year I backed up my photos on to DVDs to clear off some hard drive space and, afterwards, deleted those backed up images. This week I discovered that those discs were corrupted and due to a cyclic redundancy check error I am unable to obtain hundreds of images. This, of course, is a photographer's nightmare! All, however, is not lost. I uploaded many of those images onto FaceBook to share with family and friends and there the images remain. With these images the only thing left for me to work with to make prints, I am wondering what quality difference am I looking at from printing these now for a standard album sized 4x6?

The images are basically in the standard Facebook image format size. Here are some specs:

604x543 72dpi and 80k

Find an example below.

Is there ANY WAY to salvage these images for album prints? I expect, of course, reduction in quality, but I am hoping to at least get something marginally tolerable. Help!

Attached Images

MrGarmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:18 AM   #2
Administrator

Try a different drive. One DVD drive may work better compared to another reading bordline media.

Here is a utility you can use to get photos from it. But, some of the images may end up being corrupted if you're seeing hard errors. It's a free command line utility.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Here's a free utility with a GUI interface you can try:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smar...htm?language=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:23 PM   #3

Sadly, that program managed to only nab 45 files out of 1, 400.

Any other suggestions from you folks out there?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:48 PM   #4

I have used PCI with good results, but it was only for accidentally deleted pics, and I hadn't written over anything on the memory card. I can't vouch for any of the following, but there is a lot of free and inexpensive data recovery software available at http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html the site itself is quite reliable.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:35 PM   #5

I would strongly suggest getting a netgear storage central unit and a 500GB to put in it for starters. The unit holds 2 hard drives of any size (SATA drives I believe). The back up "ALL" your photos to the drive.I got one last year with 2x 500GB hard drives for under $400 and costs have since come down. I keep one copy of my photos on it and the others are on CD/DVD.

My photos are very important to me and the prople Iwork wioth. In 13 months of using this system I have not had one era with the drive but 3 DVDs fauked for various reasons.

I am now looking at getting 1B drives for the machine early next year so I will have storage space for the next 10 years or so.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 9:23 PM   #6

Aside from the attempts at getting them off the discs somehow, what are some tips on salvaging them via the web images and Photoshop tweeking for prints?

(As an upate: I went down to the photo store yesterday and one of those instant printing machines was able to read photos on the disc that my laptop could not. Maybe there is still hope.)
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:26 PM   #7

From the size of the images you give, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for decent looking prints, unless you only want thumbnail size images. Interpolation software such as Genuine Fractals may help some, but you are starting from pretty low resolution.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:49 AM   #8
Administrator

MrGarmonbozia wrote:
Quote:
(As an upate: I went down to the photo store yesterday and one of those instant printing machines was able to read photos on the disc that my laptop could not. Maybe there is still hope.)
That's why the very first thing I suggested was this:

Quote:
Try a different drive. One DVD drive may work better compared to another reading bordline media.
That's a very common problem (some drives are picky about what media they can read). I see that all the time at home (my wife's laptop has a problem reading discs burned by my desktop unless I use very slow burn speeds, even though the media reads fine on my PC and tests fine after a burn.

Try a different drive. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:23 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
MrGarmonbozia wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's why the very first thing I suggested was this:
Quote:
Quote:

That's a very common problem (some drives are picky about what media they can read). I see that all the time at home (my wife's laptop has a problem reading discs burned by my desktop unless I use very slow burn speeds, even though the media reads fine on my PC and tests fine after a burn.

Try a different drive. ;-)
Quote:
Thanks Jim. The only issue right now in trying a different drive is, well, I don't have one. I am stationed in a rather remote area of Japan at the moment. When I was in the photo store I was trying to ask if I could use their computers and nobody understood me. Should have also invested in those Japanese lessons.
Quote: