Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2003, 8:21 AM   #1

Default Need information about which photo printer to buy for home

Im currently trying to make a decision about purchasing a printer for printing photos at home. I'm deciding between the canon cp 200 or a standard photo printer such as the i550 or i950, could you please give me some help with which printer to buy (i.e. pros/cons), thanks for you help.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2003, 12:07 PM   #2

What size of photo do you want to print? If you want only 4X6 then I would recommend the HiTi 630ps or 640ps. You can check prices at www.newegg.com. The 640 is the new model.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 12:41 PM   #3

Default Re: Need information about which photo printer to buy for ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
Im currently trying to make a decision about purchasing a printer for printing photos at home. I'm deciding between the canon cp 200 or a standard photo printer such as the i550 or i950, could you please give me some help with which printer to buy (i.e. pros/cons), thanks for you help.
I recently got a Canon i550, and it is not only fast, but text and picture output is outstanding.

It's not that expensive either. I have also printed borderless 4" x 6" (using the sample paper that came with it), and they look just like normal photographs.

I have also printed borderless 8 1/2 x 11's on coated paper and glossy and the results are outstanding.
Mystery905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:23 PM   #4

One thing that I would seriously consider is the availability of archival quality inks.

Yes, you can reprint the picuture and replace the one in the frame... but you can't easily do that for family members or distant friends who you send the picture to.

You didn't give a price range. I know many people love the Epison 2200. Steve has reviewed it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...pson_2200.html

It's expensive, but very nice. It takes some of the best archival quality inks available. I believe I've also heard good things about the 1200, except for its black which isn't as... well, "black" as it should be. It wasn't listed on epison's web site, but the 1280 is. Steve has reviewed it here... oops. Nope, he reviewed the 1270 at:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/epson1270.html

But I don't know enough about Epison's model names/numbers to know if the 1280 is an improved 1270 or a completely different model.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:22 AM   #5

Hi- I use the Canon i950. It is excellent in the quality of prints. I highly recommend this printer.
Mike Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:23 PM   #6

Default Thx

Ok guys, thanks for your help and time.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:24 PM   #7

I second the Epson 2200. The chromium inks on Epson paper is stunning, as is the wide range of paper sizes.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:43 PM   #8

The Epson 1270 was replaced by the 1280 a few years ago. The 1270 is a 1440 X720 six color printer, the 1280 is the same, with twice the horizontal resolution. Folks who own the 1280 don't usually print at the 2880 resolution due to high ink consumption.

I bought a 1270 refurbished from Epson's web site. The printer makes very nice pictures on Epson heavyweight matte paper. I have framed some nice 13 X 19's from my 2.6 MP Canon Pro90. I "rez" them up with Genuine Fractals and the results are stunning.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote