Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:48 PM   #1

Anyone take with them a small digi cam when cycling? which one? and where do you put it? And what is the best way to carry? back of jersey or any particular bag you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
rougevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:56 AM   #2

I have done years of cycling with a digital. I had a canon sd300 which I had in their leather pouch and put in my back jersey pocket. Took thousands of pictures with it and it worked well. Let my daughter borrow it for less than 1/2 hour. Came back with a cracked screeen which is not uncommon for those models.

I think the canon digital elph with IS would be a good choice. Don't know if they have LCD cracking issues or not.
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:17 AM   #3

I take either my Minolta Z1 or my Nikon D40, in a bag hung from the brake levers by carabiners clipped to the strap rings of the bag AND mini-bungeed to the handlebars by the handle. The bag doesn't contact anything solid this way; it rests with its back against the brake cables. (My bike is a cheap Magna "mountain bike.")
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:50 PM   #4

I take a small Casio credit card size EX-S600 cycling. I carry it in my jersey's back pockets. I have the camera in a Lowepro subcompact case.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:39 PM   #5

I use a number of cameras I own. and I use a home made tripod , that is simular to the Boomstick.

I did not have a great camcorder at hte time and now i do in Hi- def, hoping to takesome pix when up to i in stills and vids of a bike ride. I own the Aipteks

A-Hd , GO, to older models even the casio ex-v7

Below is a how to, and below that is a actual footage ,

Installing the tripod to the bikethe way I did allows freedom and absorbs the bumps better if it was attched to the bars it be too shaky allowing motion to be taken in different angles and easily attached

hope I have helped out thanks

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wtdOlPsDAqA

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:53 PM   #6

Fishycomics, that was interesting. You have a nice area to ride, is that a city bike trail?

You have inspired me to try something this spring when I return to the river . I frequent backwater areas with a lot of twists and turns. Now I have to figure out a way to mount my camera. Well, I have a few months to think it over...

Again, nice video

Robert

Sorry I don't bike but if a motorcycle counts, I have a canon a560 I carry in a zippered pocket or a belt mounted pouch, depending on time of year.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:05 AM   #7

thanks haw.....

The first section is the bay i blade around it from time to time, see the local catch of the day.

The section after that isall under construction due to population , making a better place and $$$ hungry people lol just kidding, butruins the old fashion times.

The section after goes from bklyn to the queens, which can run over 10 miles and you have the decision to turn where I made my return trip. and go further into a beach scenic ride, continue towards the rockaways and to the island that would lead a good 10-20 miles but at areas be safe and unsafe to travel through. The city has a lot of scenic bike trails, oneday........

When I made this video I was not fully fit to ride. and did just that thought of a pedal bike monopod.

If you're going to do something of this nature for a motorbike you are best for a professional tripod.

A few dollars and avideo posted means a lot , and a compliment from boomstick priceless . enjoy.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:57 PM   #8

Thanks for the replys,

I looked into the Lowepro range and found (and bought)the Napoli5, its a tight fit but now it goes easily into the zipper pocket of the jersey.
rougevet is offline   Reply With Quote