Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2002, 12:53 AM   #1

Default Viewing dig pix on TV

Quick question for all you seasoned digicam vets:

I have tons of great digital pix (Olympus C2020) of kids, grandkids, etc and am trying to put together a slideshow for my parent's 40th wedding anniv party. I would like to "play" the slideshow on my parent's big screen TV (Mitsubishi 46+ inch TV) and just have it continuously loop so all the guests can see the pix on TV (and not have to huddle around my laptop!) but I can't figure out what special connector I need to connect my laptop to the TV.

Can anyone enlighten me on if this is possible or another way to accomplish this without renting a proxima ($$$)? Also, will there be any issues with resolution between my PC and the TV?

TIA,
Pete
realtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2002, 2:26 AM   #2

Does the laptop have a composite video-out? (In many cases a circle-shaped yellow connector)

If not, you have to get a VGA -> NTSC convertor (I presume you are in the US). This will convert the VGA signal to a NTSC signal your TV 'understands'.

For the software, check CNET.com for some 'viewer' programs. BTW WindowsXP does have a nice continuous fullscreen viewer! Good luck...
hasato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 5:28 AM   #3
NHL

realtired

Check out the Iomega's FotoShow, they are having a clearance @ Ritz. This device will automatically do a slideshow for you with all the fancy fade-in fade-out. You can even control each slide idividually with the included remote (or do basic editing with it)! This device also sports an additional S-Video jack for higher quality output on a big-screen and is much more portable than an LCD projector/camera or laptop (ie you can still use the camera while the show is playing)!

No PC is required!

[Edited on 7-24-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 9:31 AM   #4
Administrator

You can also use a program like TVCD to put your images on a CD that plays in most DVD players. All you need is a CD-Recorder in your computer.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_cd-dvd.html

What you asked about for your laptop is called a scan converter. Unless you have a NTSC video out port then you need the scan converter to output a signal that can be plugged in the TV set.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:16 AM   #5

I bought an Apex AD-1100W DVD player from Wal-Mart that does DVD's, has MP3 decoding and shows JPGs from burned CDROMS. It costs around $70. Works great. Just burn a CD of the pics you want to view and load it into the tray. It plays a slide show on the TV set.
Old Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 7:13 AM   #6
lg

Default More than one way to skin a cat...

Quote:
Can anyone enlighten me on if this is possible or another way to accomplish this without renting a proxima ($$$)? Also, will there be any issues with resolution between my PC and the TV?
Use your resources! Your Olympus camera has a ready-made solution to your problem. If you want to really keep it simple, check out this thread where Steve suggested TVwriter. It lets you write your pics back to a Smartmedia card in a format that can be read by your camera. They are compressed to about 60K, 640x480 resolution, which is perfect for displaying on a TV. If you don't have a card reader, you can buy one for about $30.

You may then simply insert the card back into your camera, hook your camera directly up to the TV with the supplied cable, and select the slide show option from the playback menu. There won't be any resolution issues on your TV if you do it this way.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 6:15 PM   #7

I had TVCD, and it was a neat little program. Use the free trial first, however, because the CD's wouldn't play on my DVD player. Their Net site offers a free trial and warns you that the CD's won't play on some (old I suppose) players. Being into instant gratification, I bought it without trying it. Amazingly, the nice folks at TVCD refunded my money.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 10:09 PM   #8

Depending on how old the TV is and it's model, it could have a 15 pin connector just like the one that goes to your monitor. A friend of mine uses a computer to control his home theatre system. All of his movies whether it is DVD or off the satellite, go through the PC first and then to his wide screen tv using the same connector a desktop monitor normally plugs into. I know it took him a few tries to get all the settings right, but he is very happy with the setup.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote