Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2003, 6:07 PM   #1

Default Help me! Going in circles

I'm the guy who posted the thread earlier wanting a camera to take pics of my son playing hockey.

I seem to be going in circles but learing more on every turn. I thought I would post my question again.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced digital camera to take pics of my son playing hockey. Challenging task for Digital it appears with indoor lighting and fast paced action, and distance from the shot requiring a decent optical zoom.

I started with the Oly 740, then 750 then the Fuji s602. Am told they are all a bit shy with the low light shooting, minimum shutter lag requirement etc. I was recently excited to learn about the Kodak DX6490 but Steve's early review here did not give it high marks in this department either. Here's a quote from Steve's review...

"Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the shutter and capturing the image, was a very respectable 2/10 second when pre-focused, but a disappointing one second including autofocus time. Shot-to-shot delay averaged about two seconds, while burst mode captured six shots in two seconds; both of these rapid shooting modes caused the viewfinder (LCD or EVF) to blank during image capture, preventing the photographer from following action while shooting and therefore limiting the effectiveness of the DX6490 in rapidly capturing a series of images."

Goes to heart of my dilema.

My original budget was $400-600. I really don't want to purchase used or reconditioned camera from Ebay or similar but am willing to consider bumping my budget up to $600-700. With any camera I'm figuring at least another $100 for extra battery, memory card and misc.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, even if out of my new budget price range. I've learned so much from my earlier posts here and on the Dpreview.com that more info can only help.

Thanks.

Scott.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2003, 7:54 PM   #2

A check back in July gave the Toshiba PDR-M700 (and 2MP PDR-M500) and Minolta Z1 as new big zoom cameras (recall review here suggested Toshiba good re. shutter lag). I guess Kodak DX6490 and Fuji S5000Z have appeared since then and maybe others? Image stabilised Panasonic FZ2 MAY be on its way to States soon (don't know if that's where you are) but lack of manual focus (though has pre-focus button) and suspect low light performance may rule it out anyway. Big zoom bandwagon is rolling into a town near you
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 6:52 AM   #3

Mamba, I have been at the same spot as you, just going in circles, about finding a fast response camera working even with low light.

The Fuji S7000 might be what you need, if that is too expensive seriously consider the S602. Maybe someone owning a S602 can tell if it is possible to use a more zoom lense with it. ( t-conn stuff?)

And another tip, loosen up what you really need and what you want/like. For example more than 5x optical zoom might sound cool, but especially in low light that might lead to blurred pictures, even if you use a tripod. (Your subject will not stand still but move with for example 5x zoom about 5x times faster in the view plane, while exposure will be at longest possible even with 1600 asa)

What I did to solve my agony; With all these more advanced cameras announced I decided to go for a bargain pocket camera (a model exiting the market) and save up for the dream cam later. I dumped my craving for zoom and went for the Fuji F601 with only 3x zoom but with 1600 iso.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 8:38 AM   #4

Hi Mathilde,

I hear what your saying about the zoom but I also want to take pics of wildlife, birds, stuff like that so my thinking is if I have the zoom I can use it or not, my choice.

I've been told the s602 is not that great in low light. but it has rave reviews from users. Now looking hard at the Minolta Z1 from Norm's recommendation. It has less mp's than the Kodak but AF speed looks better. Still digging into that. It's 3.2mp which should be fine. Amazon has it at $399 too! Not sure what's up with that but I'll keep reading and learning.

Thanks for your reply.

Scott.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:02 AM   #5

Mamba, well the complains about low light focus concers some darker situations than indoor sports. Candle lighted parties and concerts could be trouble. That said the S602 has manual focus.

Maybe a S602 owner can shed a light if the ring on the lens is for zooming or focuss. And if on has to go through menus how easydoes it work?

Another thing to note; most reviews complain if a camera lacks focuss assist beam/light. But looking into D slr reviews I also came across a note just complaining about exactly the opposite. I must say having used a Canon Ixus with focuss asist light for many years, yes it works, but no it will be useles if subject is far away. And in a few instances that poking light might be intrusive /disturbing to others as if you used a bright flash. (a big reason to stay away from Sony laser guided night focuss)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote