Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:53 PM   #11

Jawz: I can understand the Digimarc process for a large image, but if it is small enough to fit on my screen, cannot I simply do a screen capture and bypass it?
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 9:27 AM   #12

Yes, there's always the screen capture problem.

The best way to deal with image plagarism is just to never share high-resolution photos on the internet. If it ever comes to a dispute, you can prove the image is yours if you have a full-resolution version of it. But, there is nothing you can do to stop people from saving the pictures you do put online.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 9:41 AM   #13

Wow Darrel...I don't mind admitting you showed me a thing or two! I guess the only way you can't get it off is if it's printed.

I've gotta run and wash the egg of my face now!

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:48 PM   #14

Screen capture will yield an image at screen resolution which by digital photo standards is very low. None the less, the watermark encoded image will have pixels that when rendered for display on screen; the screen image and the captured image file will still contian the digital watermark, and the copy right information can still be read. Properly done, the stegonographic watermark cannot be removed without seriously degrading the image, thus thwarting the pirates motivation.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:36 AM   #15

One more little point: I see a large res image on-line (too big to fit on my screen). I can do a screen capture, scroll my screen, do another screen capture, etc, etc and put all the images back together in Photoshop without any loss.

For someone to take the time to do that they would want the image pretty bad. I think the best solution is keep high resolution images off the web.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 5:40 PM   #16

check out this video that shows you how to copyright your work

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special...biz/index.html
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:26 PM   #17

Darrell1-
There may be some misunderstandings interlaced within this forum thread between the concept of "copyright" and copy protection (or copy proof-ing).

Watermarking [of any kind] does not prevent copying. In this context, the watermark is used to 'prove' the author's intention that his works are not to be copied without express permission or attribution.

Simply placing some text in your image that portrays your intent to copyright your work is ineffective, as mkoso has shown. The added text can be readily removed -- making the 'proof' of authorship and/or intent to disallow unauthorized copying very hard, if not impossible, in any sort of legal action seeking redress.

If you mark your works with adigital stegonographic watermark then no matter what the thief has done, either by attempting to remove it or adulterate it, the watermark will still be sufficiently intact to stand up in court as sufficient proof of authorship and intent to protect the work from copying.

If someone wants to take your work and make a copy or two for friends [through screen shots or whatever means], the digital watermarking technique will not provide much [if any] protection. However, if someone takes your works that have been watermaked with Digimarc [or equivalent products] and tries to resell/redistribute/display your works on the web without your express permission, when you can go after them for recovery of damages, and you will have very strong evidence in the form of the embedded watermark, that this is your work and that you intended it to be copyrighted.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:34 PM   #18

I had been skipping over this thread for awhile, but I'm glad I read it now. Wow, that system by Digimarc slick. I haven't followed that link, but I intend to. If I sell prints, can they scan them in and still detect the changes which encode the information?

I know some pro photographers that follow the common theme given here. they only put up really small copies of their work on the web. Not 800x600 or even 640x480.. no more than 350 on a side. Personally, I think it makes their work look bad (they do landscapes and stuff, so their work looks more impressive bigger with detail) but they do it because they make money off it. Theft matters to them.

Darrel

Maybe I shouldn't be impressed, but you did a really good job removing that text. Wow.

At one time, I found a dedicated plugin which claime to stop screen shots and prevents all forms of "saving locally" because it encrypts the data (so even a proxy wouldn't work.) I don't believe I have a link any more, but as a software designer it did seem like it worked. It sucked because you had to have the plugin to see the protected galleries.... but if you are really paranoid, it should work.

I though Pop Photo had posted an article about copywrite on their web page (popphoto.com) but I can't find it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote