Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2007, 4:45 PM   #1

So I was just checking out some of the MPEG-4 H.264files that Steve has recorded, UHQ 640x480 and 848x480. For example, off the Casio LX-Z77.

They play badly, very jerky. I have an Athlon XP 2400 system, and a NVIDIA GeForce 2GTS card. Not cutting edge but not waaay behind the times either. The card I think is falling behindthe times moresothan the processor.

Then I watched some movies from the Panasonic Lumix camera. Same resolutions, just greater file sizes. Very nice and smoothe. I guess these aren't encoded so heavily.

Interesting to see how demanding the MPEG-4 H.264 codec is. Guess i would need a new video card that offloads that processing if I bought a camera like this.

I like the Lumix more and more.
Brian
bxd20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:48 PM   #2

It's also possible that you need to update your codecs.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:06 PM   #3

I just installed Quicktime... also Media Player CLASSIC. Both are choppy. Are there better codecs out?

Brian
bxd20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:40 PM   #4

I have WMP10 and have been having trouble playing some videos. So I went to the WMP update site and clicked a link for Media Player pluggins. One of the most popular pluggins is a H.264 codec package that, I think, also contained FFDshow. This has helped greatly, and unlike some codec packs, it's pretty light at only 4MB or something. The inclusion of FFDshow might be the kicker, here. I think that it can use the H.264 codec pack more fully than Media Player and takes over for it -- playing through the MP interface -- when needed. You might want to investigate to see whether you'd benefit.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:39 PM   #5

Try this...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote