Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:28 PM   #1

Has any one had any experience with getting their photos printed as a book? I think it might be easier than trying to print out each photo myself, especially as there is over 300 photos or so that I wish to print (From size 6by4 to A4 size).

I am based in the UK and I know companies offer this type of service. However I do not like the idea of having to save the layout in a format that beomces useless because the company that offered the service is no longer in business. I can see why they wantpeople to use their format, so one can't then go to another company to print, but it is putting me off using such companies.

I cannot afford to go to a general printers as they would charge a lot more money.

Regards
Tim
timflang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:42 PM   #2

Tim,

I've done 2 recently with MPix.com and been happy.

There are a lot of sites but you might try looking at shutterfly.com, blurb.com, picassa.com and run a search for more.

Good luck.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:32 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I have used Blurb. They shipped to the UK and I had my book within a week.

The reason I chose them was I liked their software and it runs natively on the Mac. For Windows I would probably have used a UK company.

There are a bunch - Kodak gallery is one, and google will find you a whole lot of others.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:28 PM   #4

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I have used Blurb. They shipped to the UK and I had my book within a week.

The reason I chose them was I liked their software and it runs natively on the Mac. For Windows I would probably have used a UK company.

There are a bunch - Kodak gallery is one, and google will find you a whole lot of others.
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I came across Blurb and was tempted to use them as they allow quite a high number of pages and are reasonably priced. However I read some negative comments about them on other web sites so was a bit aprehensive. My photos are not professional or always of fantastic quality, so it may not be an issue in my case. I will try out their software. Still doesn't solve the issue of the format saved in but I suspose being cheap one can't expect everything

Regards

Tim
timflang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:05 AM   #5

I used Blurb.com for a book earlier this year and was quite happy. I found the software to be the most user-friendly compared to the competition. Their layouts are somewhat limited, but I was looking for a classic photojournal/coffee table-type look. If you want a scrapbooky look, Blurb is not for you. They also had the LARGEST book available at 11x13.

I'm shooting a KM5D with a 6.1 MP sensor. Some of my shots were enlarged quite a bit to fill an entire page. Their software has a neat little feature that will warn you if your resolution gets too low as you enlarge the photo on the page. This helped a lot with quality because computer screen resolution doesn't compare to actual print resolution. Download time took about an hour for a 60 page book with about 200 photos. The price was $64.95. Everybody comments on how well done it is. Well worth the price, in my opinion.

On a side note, I've done quite a few enlargements with Mpix.com. Great quality and very reputable, but I just didn't like the layout tools of their books. Also, their largest is only 8x10.

Anyway, hope the input helps...good luck.

DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote