Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:57 PM   #1

can anyone tell me where i could find a new K M 5D

Can only find slightly used on Amazon

Is is worth beating my brains out looking or just get the comparable Sony (what is the comparable?)

Did Sony make any worth while improvements?
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Sorry, the Konica Minolta Maxxum (Dynax) 5D was discontinued a long time ago, and Sony acquired Konica Minolta's camera related assets.

For a used one, check with http://www.keh.com

They've got one now with a kit lens for $525

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D with 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens for $525 at keh.com

They've also got a Konica Minolta Alpha Sweet (Japanese version of the Maxxum 5D).

They've got bodies without a lens for around $449:

Minolta Digital Bodies at keh.com

I'd strongly recommend a reputable vendor like keh.com for used gear (where they're going to check it carefully and grade it fairly, as well as offer a 60 day warranty) versus dealing with an individual if you go used.

What do you want to shoot? That makes a difference (low light sports is one thing, landscapes are something else entirely).

The Sony DSLR-A100 (mostly based on the KM 5D) is still available new. It's got a higher resolution (10MP) sensor. But, it doesn't perform as well at higher ISO speeds compared to the KM Maxxum 5D.

The latest Sony model is the Sony DSLR-A700 (a.k.a., Alpha 700). It's a super camera (better autofocus speed, exposure algorithms, ergonomics, viewfinder, burst rates, image processing, and more compared to a 5D).

I've got both the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony DSLR-A700, and both are nice cameras. If budget permits, go for the new A700 (it's a super camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:24 PM   #3

thank you

the 7D or it's Sony conterpart is beyond my budget.

For reasons i cannot explain i liked the 5D as soon as it came out. I like the image stabelization idea in the body and not the lens, even though i have no lenses. Minilta missed the boat on not marketing heavily that feature.

I own a Z! and am very happy with it.

I am going to question the seller on Amazon as to why he is selling a used body for $565 when i can get new Sony 100 for exact same price.

Our local camera store said they could set me up with a Nikon or EOS wioth two lenses for less money based on what i shoot---landscape, people, telephoto birds, some ski action
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:39 PM   #4

derfy wrote:
Quote:

I am going to question the seller on Amazon as to why he is selling a used body for $565 when i can get new Sony 100 for exact same price.

There are always going to be a certain number ofpeople that have a higher opinion as to the value of their equipment than is the reality. Until they've tried, maybe for quite a while, to get that value, they won't sell for less. You see it on eBay a lot too, and my experience is, you just go past that deal and look for one that makes sense for you.

A used camera for the same price as a newer, more advanced one makes no sense in this case. There may be that one person out there somewhere, some day, that gives them their price. I would not want to be that person.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:47 PM   #5
Administrator

If you want a KM 5D, I'd forget that Amazon deal. You can get an EX+ Condition Maxxum 5D at keh.com with a 18-70mm lens for $525 at keh.com (and that includes a 60 day warranty).

If you don't want the 18-70mm lens, you can get a body only for $449 there.

Then, go to the Minolta 35mm Autofocus Lenses section and you'll find lots of lens choices (pages and pages of used Minolta and third party autofocus lenses that will work on a KM 5D).

If you go that route, ask about lenses you want to consider in our Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha dSLR Forum, and some of our KM and Sony users can probably give you some tips.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote