Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:22 PM   #11

"When I installed Nero it associated all my pictures with itself, I uninstalled it and right around that time the majority of the pictures I tried to burn became unviewable."

Go to Tools, Folder Options, File Types, JPG...what program does it say jpg opens with? If it's Nero, change it to another more suitable program.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:29 PM   #12

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
"When I installed Nero it associated all my pictures with itself, I uninstalled it and right around that time the majority of the pictures I tried to burn became unviewable."

Go to Tools, Folder Options, File Types, JPG...what program does it say jpg opens with? If it's Nero, change it to another more suitable program.

the Hun
Yes, but she can view other photos. That's what made me think that, as much as I dislike Nero, that wasn't the cause of her problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:49 PM   #13

aurelien wrote:
Quote:
Yup, I do have other pictures that are viewable that I've had on the computer since the first day I bought my laptop and camera.

The photos from my Brasil trip were cut from the folder not copied, so the photos aren't on the memory stick per say, but I think that if I use some sort of recovery software I should be able to still retrieve them.
Using cut and paste doesn't actually remove the photos, it just erases the directory information about them. If you don't use the memory stick for anything else in the meantime, file recovery software, such as PC inspector, should be able to restore the pics nicely.

Regarding the memory stick and reader: Are you sure the reader is compatible with the Memory Stick Pro Duo? I have heard of other situations where the Pro Duo sticks aren't read correctly by some readers. If the camera is newer than your computer, this could be the source of the problem. Also, until you are certain of this, don't try using the file recovery programs - won't help, and could hurt.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:05 PM   #14

Hello the Hun, TCav and VTphotog

The Hun,

Thanks for the idea, but it's something I already looked into and when I do that and choose Microsoft Picture Viewer, Picasa or other photo viewing softwareand attempt opening the pic all I get is the red x.

VTphotog,

The camera is a Sony 5 Megapixel DSCV-something, and the laptop is a Sony Vaio, I'll post again later when I'm at home what the exact models are. But they were both purchased in 2004 and the laptop has a built-in memory stick reader, it can handle the original stick format as well as the memory stick pro duo.

TCav,

In one of your earlier posts you had mentioned a recovery program to see if I could at least get back my brazil pics from the memory stick, are you familiar with the PC Inspector software that VTphotog mentions or is there another one you reccomend.

Also, out of my 5 folders from my brazil pictures which I took during the month of november, 2 are no longer viewable also, files are there, but can't view the photos or videos. All I did was burn one CD with 3 folders, those pics are still fine & viewable, the other folders with pics & video were prepared to be burned to CD using whatever burning software comes with XP, I believe it's from Roxio. The size of all this was more than the CD could handle so I left the temp files there, but the pics then became not viewable, same issue as I had before. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP !!! :-)
aurelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 2:04 PM   #15

aurelien wrote:
Quote:
TCav,

In one of your earlier posts you had mentioned a recovery program to see if I could at least get back my brazil pics from the memory stick, are you familiar with the PC Inspector software that VTphotog mentions or is there another one you reccomend.
I'm certain that PC Inspector is one of many programs that might allow you to recover your files, and, most importantly, won't screw things up so you can't use other programs if it fails.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote