Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2003, 1:39 PM   #1

Default Minolta Dimage Z1 - when???

Some e-tailers where showing 9/10/03 as their ship date, now they are showing 9/29/03 (or so)...

When is this camera *really* coming out?
Prices are hovering around $400. Can we hope to see this drop to around $325 or so when it actually starts shipping?
$400 is pretty ridiculous for a 3mp camera, even with the 10x opt. zoom and other nifty features.

I'd get something else, but I really like some of the features of this camera (that others don't have).

If there's a review out there that actually HAS sample images, please let me know. I've already seen the shots (and movie) that the Minolta Japan site has.

Thanks,

-Harlock
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2003, 4:53 PM   #2
Administrator

You never can tell about these things.

For example: Ritz showed a 2 - 4 week delivery on the new Minolta DiMAGE G500 as of two days ago. Then suddenly changed it to "in stock" yesterday.

As for the price on the new Z1 -- you can never tell about that either. It all depends on supply and demand. Often the demand for a new camera model far exceeds the supply. As a result, the higher prices can be sustained for a much longer time frame.

We won't know until it actually "hits the market"

It may or may not be a great seller. Bear in mind that it's got an extremely fast focus speed (0.3 - 0.4 seconds), along with some high speed capture modes. So, stablized zoom or not, it may be a popular choice for outdoor sports photography among consumer grade cameras.

Also, 3 Megapixels is plenty for most users -- I've gotten great looking 8x10's from both 2 and 3 Megapixel Cameras. And, you can't make up for the 10x Optical Zoom with more Megapixels either, comparing 5 Megapixel Choices with less Zoom range in this price category.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:19 PM   #3

Default Z1 Stuff

Thanks for the info.

Well, I guess it's officially out. Plenty of online store are claiming to have it in stock. Unfortunatly the price is still up there.. I really thought it would drop a little when it started shipping. I guess we'll have to wait for that to happen. If I saw a very positive full review (which I'm still unable to find), I would pay the premium now just to have it. I've been waiting for this camera since Aug 7th (or whenever the first press release surfaced).

Prices I saw ranged from $380-$400. Some places were offering free shipping.

Harmony computers is still listing this camera for $339 (AFTER you visit their site - it shows up for around $395 in the 'nexttag' type price watcher engines), but, they are showing 9/26 as a shipping date. 20+ other e-tailer actually have them on-hand.
If I see one at the local Ritz for $400 today (they said it might actually show up today - but I doubt it), I'll swallow the $60 (stupid) and just buy it. I can't wait anymore.
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:48 PM   #4
Administrator

Default Re: Z1 Stuff

Ritz is probably the better choice, because they have a 10 day satisfaction guarantee.

Some of the other dealers have very high restocking fees on returns.

So, if you decide it doesn't live up to your expectations, you could always return it.

Without reviews, buying a new model always has a certain amount of risk. They all tend to look good "on paper".
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 3:54 PM   #5

Don't know if you've seen it by now, but some people have posted links to their images in the Minolta dpreview forum :
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1024
You might need to hunt for the threads on the Z1. I see they're now discussing the imaging-resource prototype review.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote