Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2003, 2:26 PM   #1
Administrator

Default O/T - Earthlink Fraud Alert - E-mail Requesting Account Info

These are becoming all too common, but I just got one from a site pretending to be Earthlink. I've got multiple e-mail accounts, including a dial-up acct. with Earthlink.

The E-mail looks genuine (Earthlink Logo/Colors, etc.), but it's actually someone attempting to steal credit card information. The site is not as genuine looking (Yahoo Logo on site, etc.), but it is still up and running. I reported it to Earthlink, and forwarded a copy of the e-mail to their fraud dept.

I also reported it to Yahoo's Abuse Department (apparently, Yahoo is hosting the web site that collects the card numbers). The address to the site is very similiar to Earthlink (with minor differences).

Hopefully, the site will be shut down soon. Contents of E-mail:

Dear Earthlink User,

This email is a reminder that your EarthLink account information is not up-to-date. To avoid any interruption to your service including the ability to log onto EarthLink, please update your credit or debit card information.

If you do not update your credit or debit card information you may no longer be able to use EarthLink.

This is your final notice. Please take a moment to update your credit card information by clicking here [Link Removed] and submitting your information.

Please note that we will attempt to renew your service five days from today. If we are still unable to charge your credit card at that time, your service will be terminated.

Sincerely,
Earthlink Billing Department
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2003, 5:03 PM   #2

Probably a good idea to remind everyone that any email asking for sign-on info (screen name/password) should be deleted immediately. Or - if in doubt, go the site to see if an announcement is posted pr email from the site and double check. I got a similar "ebay" scam email asking for sign-on and credit card, banking info.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 5:12 PM   #3
Administrator

It actually took quite a while to get the site shut down (despite my sending e-mails to Earthlink and Yahoo about it).

There needs to be a mechanism in place to take action faster for these scam artists. There is no telling how many card numbers were stolen as a result.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 5:16 PM   #4

I igonore most of my email.

If it doesnt come from someone that I know I don't even bother looking at it.

Thanks to these parasites email has become an useless tool.
Hammerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 2:39 PM   #5

Just to update- As an earthlink subscriber, I am regularly sent fraudulent e mails trying to get credit card info etc- They seem very sophisticated. Is there any indication who they are?

hightor
hightor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 2:45 PM   #6
Administrator

Wow.... You must've dug for that thread. That post is almost a year old. These weren't as common then, but I get 'em all the time now.

Old Aug 8, 2004, 6:03 PM   #7
DBB

I'm a little puzzled.

While SPAM may or may not be illeagal - What you guys are talking about is just plain large scale theft. Is anyone alerting a District Attourneys office?

These guys should not be getting a free pass, just to set up shop somewhere else.

This is an out an out CRIME.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 6:22 PM   #8
Administrator

Dave, these types of e-mails are VERY common now. You get them pretending to be from Ebay, Major Banks, Internet Service Providers,Paypal, etc.

The e-mails and sites look totally legimate. Usually, most of the menus and links on these pages go to the REAL sites, too (help, about us, policies, etc.). The web site addressesareusually almost identical, too.

NEVER give out any account information when you gete-mails like these. That's how they work. Unsuspecting users assume they are legitimate and enter in their personal information.

The Service Providers are well aware of it, and have entire departments setup to help track down the offenders, working with law enforcement. Most offenders are overseas, and dissapear quickly without a trace after stealing account information for a short period of time.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 6:30 PM   #9

I have been using MailWasher for a couple of years. It's a shareware program that looks at your e-mail on the servers before you download it so you can delete it before it reaches your computer. I use it on three e-mail accounts. It also offers an option ($7 per year) that compares your spam against a world-wide database. Not sure if that part is worthwhile, but the program is so good that I registered it within a week after I downloaded it.

I don't work for them... they're in New Zealand and they answer their e-mail. If you get a lot of spam, this thing is great. Simply click on an entry on a list and add it to your blacklist. It also sends back a response that your address is invalid. Since few spammers seldom update their lists before they sell them, it might not work too well. I'll admit I get a lot less spam that I did before.

Depending on laws to help with spam is a worthless hope.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 9:09 PM   #10

Thanks for the heads up from long ago - I need to maintain an earthlink DUN but it is not a main email address. Every day of so I clean the spam and, withyour warning in mind, found just such a fraud this evening which had to have been sent sometime today, 8 August 2004.

It looked pretty good but they had the wrong type of card and the wrong monthly charge - they also had an 800 number which did not match a known good one.

I called the real Earthlink and they already had learned of the game.

jdm
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote